Rx 300 Antenne

dgbrown

I have an RX 300 2001 with XM satellite installed. I never use the radio (ever) but the antenna is stuck in the up position, which among other things means no car washes. I don't really want the antenna so i was wondering if there is a "plug"/"cap" of sorts to cover over the hole if I remove the antenna and if so where to get one ?

Also while I was looking at the antenna I see a small silver box right below it, is that the location of the nav. system ?

Thanks for any help

Danny

Of course there is no "plug/cap" made to cover the antenna hole. Maybe you could get a rubber grommet of the right size to fill the hole or a body shop could fill in the hole and paint it. Or you could buy a new antenna for $144.16 (retail is $234.40) from Sewell if you register your forum member name: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/ Or you might find an OEM or non-OEM antenna on eBay.

Yes, the nav system ECU is on the right side of the trunk near the radio antenna.

I have an RX 300 2001 with XM satellite installed. I never use the radio (ever) but the antenna is stuck in the up position, which among other things means no car washes. I don't really want the antenna so i was wondering if there is a "plug"/"cap" of sorts to cover over the hole if I remove the antenna and if so where to get one ?

Also while I was looking at the antenna I see a small silver box right below it, is that the location of the nav. system ?

Thanks for any help

Danny

DGB- Are you sure it's stuck or is the plastic gear strip broken (common occurance)? Turn the radio on and then have someone turn it off while you try to "help" the antenna down. If you hear a ratcheting sound, that means the gear strip is broken and you may still be able to get it most of the way down and then unplug the plug on the antenna motor. It's a lot simpler than removing the antenna and finding a plug or having the hole filled. I'd do it for you if you lived in the area.

Thanks for the reply

Yes, It's stuck in the up position, I tried your suggestion and while the motor hums away happily the mast refuses to retract.

I see that I can buy a new mast with he plastic strip, so I guess I'll buy and install that then disconnect the power supply.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply

Yes, It's stuck in the up position, I tried your suggestion and while the motor hums away happily the mast refuses to retract.

I see that I can buy a new mast with he plastic strip, so I guess I'll buy and install that then disconnect the power supply.

Thanks again.

DGB- There are a couple places you can buy the masts for as little as $12. online, plus shipping. I have used them and they seem to be a really nice product, even though made in China. You can also buy the OEM antenna mast for as little as $25. online which is a WHOLE lot cheaper than the dealer. That's the good news, the bad news is you have to pull the antenna out and pull it apart to get the broken piece out before you can install the new mast. I have done several of them and they aren't bad if you have some mechanical ability and proper tools. Without those 2, it will probably be frustrating.

I'm not necessarily suggesting this, but you can take the nut off the top of the antenna and you should be able to pull the mast out if it is in fact broken, put the nut back on tight to hold the antenna tight and seal it and then simply put some silicone (black or clear) in the open hole at the top where the mast was, to seal the water out of the motor and disconnect the motor plug, and your done, since you WON'T EVER use the radio.