Trunk Release Question

toytrain

Got a used '03 SC430 and recently replaced non-functioning trunk struts with eBay specials. They hold the trunk up but I still have problems opening it. It's necessary to press down on lid firmly to get it to "pop" open -- only about 1/2 inch - then I can lift trunk up, where it stays.

Is the trunk suppose to pop open and lift on its own? - I saw an older SC video where it did just that!

Could it be just a bad release mechanism? Or are the non-OEM struts too weak?

Could it be just a bad release mechanism? Or are the non-OEM struts too weak?

I would bet that is exactly what it is. Maybe see if the release mechanism needs a spray of some lube? The struts lift the trunk fine once you push it down right?

Thanks for the comeback ---- if I just use interior driver release button or key, it won't open at all. If I push down firmly on lid, it will usually release after I again use key or interior button. Either way it never "springs" open and rises on its own.

I've started pushing down firmly after closing and it will work later as long as not much time has elapsed.

I know its a small thing but it bugs me.

I'll try a little grease as you mentioned.

After rereading my reply, let me add -- it never lifts the lid, I have to do that by hand. It only rises about 1/2 inch by itself. Is it supposed to lift the the lid? How far?

Hopefully someone else will chime in...I know the Toyota Celica I had when I was in school only came up like you are describing then you had to lift it. So maybe it isnt supposed to lift all of the way.

• 2 months later...

After rereading my reply, let me add -- it never lifts the lid, I have to do that by hand. It only rises about 1/2 inch by itself. Is it supposed to lift the the lid? How far?

When you press the button to open the trunk, the trunk will raise about 1/2 or 1 inch. then you lift it up from there

• 11 months later...

I had the same problem with the trunk release not opening. I sprayed clear silicone spray lubrication on all the hinges and touching surfaces of the trunk support mechanism. I worked it in by opening and almost closing the trunk about 10 times. The problem has disappeared completely.

• 8 years later...