1992 Lexus Sc400 120k Tune Up

Lexual

you are probably due for a timing belt at that mileage. I was. While they have the front of the engine apart it is not a bad idea to replace the water pump and serpentine belt if they haven't been done already. one other thing I read about but haven't done yet is to replace the bearings in the cooling fan. I understand they can seize and wreck that new serpentine belt----I would like to hear some experienced members comment on that. otherwise, everything else should be routine maintenance---trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant flush, plugs if due. how much do they want?

My timing belt was done at 90k so that should be ok, I actually found a list of what is done during the 120k, which is the same as a 60 as it turns out. It says to inspect and replace if neccsary the Charcoal Cannister :blink: what is that?????

Can anybody tell me what the heck the shop wants to charge me an arm and leg for during a 120,000 tune up???

Who knows eaxctly what is done on 92 SC400 during that tune up, i think i am just going to do.

Have you asked JPI? He used to work for them.

the charcoal canister is an emission item, which vents the vapor in the gas tank. in the old days (which I unfortunately remember vividly) the gas tank vented directly to the atmosphere. now, it vents through the charcoal which reduces emissions of gas fumes. if you overfill the gas tank you can flood the canister, thus all those warnings at the gas pumps

hey joedoc thanks for the update, according to my 120k tune up check list i should inspect this but i just passed emmissions with flying colors, not sure its directly related, so do i really need to inspect it and if so do you know where it is on the sc400??

Something you might want to consider replacing during your next timing belt change is replace the front main seal.

I recently had to replace my rear main seal because it started leaking. The front is weeping a bit, but I'll wait until the timing belts are changed.

:cheers:

all depends what you did to your car already. but most times it will be the 60k. plus plug wires. as for timing belt all your cam seals should have been done. O yea you might want to do your valve cover gaskets and check your trans and oil pan gaskets also.