Hesitation On Acceleration

While recently driving my 2007 LS460 (25K miles, with valve recall done) at around 40 mph I floored it to pass and the engine revved like it was in neutral for 3 or 4 seconds (seemed like forever) before the transmission engaged and downshifted, then caught up with the engine rpms, and finally started to accelerate. No other car I've ever driven has taken so long to downshift and accelerate, and I was worried that I might not be able to pass in time. This was unexpected and is a safety hazard.

Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence, as Lexus issued Technical Service Bulletin L-SB-0033-08 in June, 2008 to remedy this problem.

See this link:

http://http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/tsb.html?year=2007&make=&model=&styleId=100807643&engCode=8VNAG4.6&transCode=AUTOMATIC&mileage=25000&zip=30328&type=tsb

and click on POWER TRAIN: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM) to open it.

If the hyperlink doesn't work, here's the URL to copy and paste into your browser:

edmunds.com/car-maintenance/tsb.html?year=2007&make=&model=&styleId=100807643&engCode=8VNAG4.6&transCode=AUTOMATIC&mileage=25000&zip=30328&type=tsb

Has anyone had the Hesitation on Acceleration repair procedure done? Did it fix the problem?

I've not yet experienced it on my ES350...but did on my ES300, my dad's 98 LS400 and his 04 LS430. It sounds like the typical throttle by wire lag that Lexus vehicles have exhibited since they came out with drive by wire in 1998. In short, its a computer glitch.

It probably wasn't as long as 3-4 seconds, it feels a lot longer than it actually is. Can be very scary. On the new cars its a lot less of an issue than the older cars...

• 7 months later...

While recently driving my 2007 LS460 (25K miles, with valve recall done) at around 40 mph I floored it to pass and the engine revved like it was in neutral for 3 or 4 seconds (seemed like forever) before the transmission engaged and downshifted, then caught up with the engine rpms, and finally started to accelerate. No other car I've ever driven has taken so long to downshift and accelerate, and I was worried that I might not be able to pass in time. This was unexpected and is a safety hazard.

Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence, as Lexus issued Technical Service Bulletin L-SB-0033-08 in June, 2008 to remedy this problem.

See this link:

http://http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/tsb.html?year=2007&make=&model=&styleId=100807643&engCode=8VNAG4.6&transCode=AUTOMATIC&mileage=25000&zip=30328&type=tsb

and click on POWER TRAIN: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM) to open it.

If the hyperlink doesn't work, here's the URL to copy and paste into your browser:

edmunds.com/car-maintenance/tsb.html?year=2007&make=&model=&styleId=100807643&engCode=8VNAG4.6&transCode=AUTOMATIC&mileage=25000&zip=30328&type=tsb

Has anyone had the Hesitation on Acceleration repair procedure done? Did it fix the problem?

My LS 460 07 , did have slight hesitation under moderate acceleration. It always performed well floored. recently the hesitation got so bad

the car was almost undriveable . My wife called and got the Lexus dealer to pick the car up, she was uncomfortable driving it. well , we got the car back in about 3 hours ,,,, they flashed the computer, which was not communicating correctly with engine, and I must say the car run like a different car now. i took it for a spin and its totally awesome.I cant wait to floor it on my favorite road, ( one thats safe to speed on ). Call

and have yours done ,, its TSB Technical Service Bulliten, so there no charge. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...