Rx400H Electrical Problem W/car Battery?

Has anyone ever experienced the car battery just dying on the RX400h?? We have a 2008; and the car battery has died twice. It happened once when I was recharging my cell phone (car was not running); and it just happened again this evening. Nothing was left on; nothing was running. The battery shows it is still good (green eye). Our car has 53000 miles and will be 3 years old in 2 months. I am tempted to replace the battery, but our last RX300 went 5 years and 80000 miles before needing one.

Anybody have any ideas about the cause of this??? A little concerned right now

To me, this is not normal. I would ask the dealership to find out why a battery would fail that quickly. It's hard to believe that two batteries were defective. Simply changing the battery every year is not an acceptable solution.

I don't think he's been through two batteries - I think the one he has, has died twice. Three years is not unheard of with the small, weak battery that comes in the 400h. You can still have the green eye, but have a bad cell. This happened to me a few times (the battery dying) when I first got my 400h used. One time I was just playing around with the NAV system - accessory power on, but not in READY mode, and another when I left the driver's door open for about 10 minutes. Took the battery to be tested and it had a bad cell. It's supposed to be 450 CCA or something, and was only showing 200 and a bit. Now CCA is not an important number for use since we don't have a starter, but the low CCA indicated a bad cell (the 12 volt has 6 cells in it I believe.

Anyway, my guess would be a new 12 volt battery is in order. It's easy enough to have the one you currently have tested.

• 6 months later...

My wife has experienced no ready light indication after trying to start a couple of times, then after trying a few times the car comes to Ready...I looked at battery last night.

static 12.7 volts, engine on 13.9 However I did a cell check with a battery tester and three sells showed less than 50% charge, and one cell showed less than 25% charge...Something really strange three cells had a milky water color while the others were clear...Any thoughts and has anybody else looked at the water condition?

May be getting a new Costco or Sam Club battery soon.....

Oh and one other thing, the battery replacement sticker was not punched...So I have no idea how old battery is.

I have to admit that I've never seen milky white battery water. My gut feeling is that the battery is bad. And hey, a $60 Costco battery is not much of a solution risk.

Battery still hanging in there, measured last night was at 12.75 static. Two cells measured 100% charge the rest were at 75% charge and that was after driving 20 miles....I see a new battery coming...

• 1 year later...

My 2008 RX400h 12 volt battery was replaced in April 2011, and again in June 2013. Since the car would not run even after charging the battery Lexus said I could bring in the old battery and get a new one. I checked the old battery and there was no water in 2 of the 6 cells and the others were almost dry. I ask the service person if they checked the battery during the scheduled service appointments. He said no they do not check the fluids other than oil level during oil changes. This car had just had it's 48,000 mile checkup. The battery and the radiator both needed water. I checked the new battery when I got home and it was dry in 2 cells and the other 4 barely had any in them.

Check your on fluid levels even if you regularly take your car in. My next question to Lexus management will be what are you doing to my car during scheduled maintenance?

• 1 year later...

My wife has experienced no ready light indication after trying to start a couple of times, then after trying a few times the car comes to Ready...I looked at battery last night.

static 12.7 volts, engine on 13.9 However I did a cell check with a battery tester and three sells showed less than 50% charge, and one cell showed less than 25% charge...Something really strange three cells had a milky water color while the others were clear...Any thoughts and has anybody else looked at the water condition?

May be getting a new Costco or Sam Club battery soon.....

Oh and one other thing, the battery replacement sticker was not punched...So I have no idea how old battery is.

We are suffering the same issue. My wife went to Bed Bath and Beyond and when she came out and tried to start her car, she said all the lights would light up except the "READY" light. Now her car dies about once a week. We've complained to Lexus and they said they've never heard anything like that. They looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong with it. What could be the problem?