Advice For A 1St Time Owner Please?

I am a 1st time Lexus owner. I have a certified pre-owned 2008 RX350.

Anything that I should know? Tips on keeping my car running well?

My main tip is to follow the maintenance schedule religiously and keep your vehicle reasonably clean. Excess maintenance can be almost as wasteful as too little maintenance. Consider using an independent repair shop that specializes in Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I've rarely used Lexus dealers in my 21 years of Lexus ownership and have gotten much better service and prices from independent repair shops.

My main tip is to follow the maintenance schedule religiously and keep your vehicle reasonably clean. Excess maintenance can be almost as wasteful as too little maintenance. Consider using an independent repair shop that specializes in Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I've rarely used Lexus dealers in my 21 years of Lexus ownership and have gotten much better service and prices from independent repair shops.

Definitely agree.. keep your vehicle well maintained (according to the Lexus maintenance schedule - nothing more, nothing less); keep it clean inside and out, and you should enjoy years of reliable and great driving from your RX.

Welcome to the club!

I'd also suggest that you register the vehicle with Lexus, and at that time, ask them if there are any outstanding recalls, or 'campaigns' as Lexus calls a non government enforced recall, on the vehicle. When I bought my RX400h used in 2009 and registered with Lexus Canada, I discovered a 'campaign' to replace the entire electric steering rack as the original could fail without warning. Nice thing to know, and the previous owner had never had it dealt with.

I'd also suggest that you register the vehicle with Lexus, and at that time, ask them if there are any outstanding recalls, or 'campaigns' as Lexus calls a non government enforced recall, on the vehicle. When I bought my RX400h used in 2009 and registered with Lexus Canada, I discovered a 'campaign' to replace the entire electric steering rack as the original could fail without warning. Nice thing to know, and the previous owner had never had it dealt with.

I agree with recommendations of all previous respondents. I have an 07 RX350 and it's been a very good vehicle for us. Originally got it on 3 year lease, then bought at end of lease. Currently have 67k miles, generally trouble free.

I would get to know your local dealer. Some in the club have responded as having had trouble with their dealers. I'm happy to report that I've always been very pleased with the one's I've had to use. I bought mine in Ann Arbor, MI and have moved around since, having had experience with the dealer in Grand Rapids, MI and Wayzatta, MN. All have been good.

Was particularly impressed with the Wayzatta dealer. I took car there with a malfunction in the HVAC system - not controlling properly. Had 57k miles at the time so out of warranty. They quoted me $800 to replace the HVAC control module. I protested (mildly) that I thought this was too much and asked the service writer to check with Lexus re extending warranty coverage. Within 10 minutes I was informed they would do the job for free!

At each dealer I've been very impressed with the quality of service managers in terms of competency, courtesy and willingness to provide a loaner if my service was going to take longer than anticipated.

• 3 weeks later...

I own/owned a few japanes cars since new (including 98 Corolla 90Kmiles, 03 TL-S 79K, 04 Accord 196K, 02 Odyssey 130K, 10 Sequoia 25K, 10 Venza 8K, 05 G35 122K) and late model Toyota/Lexus have been the easiest to work on, as I do most maintenance myself, and require the least amount of "maintenance" vs. other brands. Also, Toyota and Lexus cars have the least amount of problems from what my friends and I've experienced. First the transmission oil never needs to be changed unless you tow. I am told the RX350 does not have grease points for the chassis unlike the sequoia. The schedule is not the exact guideline from Lexus but it's what I follow. If you have some type of extended warranty you should follow what they say to do and keep all the receipts with a record of all the work.

Since it's a used vehicle, I would run auto-rx in your next oil change. If you have all the records showing it had good oil change intervals then maybe not. Much debate on this topic so do your research but I like the product. The accord was burning 1-1.25 quarts on 10K pennzoil platinum synthetic oil changes around 80-110K. I ran auto rx as noted and it dropped the consumption to .25-.5 every 10K until i sold the car 70K later.

I have a 08 RX350 without air suspension. 91,000 miles. zero problems. no repairs outside what's listed below.

MY maintenance schedule:

6K conventional oil

10K synthetic oil with 1/4 quart top off at 5K

auto-Rx every 50K

every oil change: pump out and replace power steering & brake fluid in the reservoir only

engine and cabin filter change 30K

brake flush every 2 years or 50K

rear differential and center case fluid 50-60K (this makes the car ride much smoother imho, I used amsoil severe gear oil 75W-90)

coolant drain and fill 50K (overkill by some but cheap at 20-30 bucks)

PCV valve 90K

Struts 90K

spark plugs 100K (huge pita to get to the rear three plugs, do not attempt unless you want to disassemble the intake manifold)

belts (not the timing chain) 100K

Hope this gives you an idea.

I own/owned a few japanes cars since new (including 98 Corolla 90Kmiles, 03 TL-S 79K, 04 Accord 196K, 02 Odyssey 130K, 10 Sequoia 25K, 10 Venza 8K, 05 G35 122K) and late model Toyota/Lexus have been the easiest to work on, as I do most maintenance myself, and require the least amount of "maintenance" vs. other brands. Also, Toyota and Lexus cars have the least amount of problems from what my friends and I've experienced. First the transmission oil never needs to be changed unless you tow. I am told the RX350 does not have grease points for the chassis unlike the sequoia. The schedule is not the exact guideline from Lexus but it's what I follow. If you have some type of extended warranty you should follow what they say to do and keep all the receipts with a record of all the work.

Since it's a used vehicle, I would run auto-rx in your next oil change. If you have all the records showing it had good oil change intervals then maybe not. Much debate on this topic so do your research but I like the product. The accord was burning 1-1.25 quarts on 10K pennzoil platinum synthetic oil changes around 80-110K. I ran auto rx as noted and it dropped the consumption to .25-.5 every 10K until i sold the car 70K later.

I have a 08 RX350 without air suspension. 91,000 miles. zero problems. no repairs outside what's listed below.

MY maintenance schedule:

6K conventional oil

10K synthetic oil with 1/4 quart top off at 5K

auto-Rx every 50K

every oil change: pump out and replace power steering & brake fluid in the reservoir only

engine and cabin filter change 30K

brake flush every 2 years or 50K

rear differential and center case fluid 50-60K (this makes the car ride much smoother imho, I used amsoil severe gear oil 75W-90)

coolant drain and fill 50K (overkill by some but cheap at 20-30 bucks)

PCV valve 90K

Struts 90K

spark plugs 100K (huge pita to get to the rear three plugs, do not attempt unless you want to disassemble the intake manifold)

belts (not the timing chain) 100K

Hope this gives you an idea.

As we've talked about, Lexus recommended service, at the recommended intervals; nothing more, nothing less. Anything beyond this is a waste of time and money..geek.gif