Amp For 2001 Lexus Es300

AD1124

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but I've heard good things so I figured I'd join. I have a question for you, and would appreciate anyone's helpful answers...

My radio recently stopped working. when i turn on the lights to it, the AC/TEMP lights are fine, so is everything else, battery is new within the last 6 months, but the lights that illuminate the radio/CD controls don't light up, and when i press the knob to turn on the stereo, nothing happens. HOWEVER, the CD changer works fine.

I had my mechanic look at it and he said the fuses are fine, and after looking it up on the computer, he said my amp is probably bad. He said to try and find the model and year at a junkyard and see if they would let me buy it.

My question is: Is this a feasible alternative to going to the dealer? I can't imagine how much they would charge. Does anyone else have any other alternatives, or have any reassurance that this is an effective route to go (trying to find an amp from a junkyard?)? I might have located a junkyard selling one online for under $100.

Thank you for reading and for any answers that are left. I appreciate it.

Also- does anyone know how far back in years I can go to replace the amplifier in a 2001? for example, could i put a 1996 es300 amplifier in the 2001 es300 I currently have? Is there any way to check that information?

Also- does anyone know how far back in years I can go to replace the amplifier in a 2001? for example, could i put a 1996 es300 amplifier in the 2001 es300 I currently have? Is there any way to check that information?

Not totally sure I would jump to the amp as your problem, but it sure is a possibility. You can contact "dcfish" on this forum for a possible amplifier source, and or e-bay is another possibility.

Paul

There are newer model amps that will work...........cheers.gif

Hey Paul- thanks for your response and advice. said he found 24 cases of the same diagnosis on cars as mine (stereo system didnt sound right/as loud, then suddenly stopped working and the light that illuminates the stereo was not coming on either), and it all pointed to the AMP. Sounded like enough to support the culprit as the AMP. He might've made a mistake- do you have any other suggestions with the info I have provided on what else could be causing it? I could mention some other things for him to look at.

DCFISH-

Thanks for your response. Does what I have described sound like an amp problem to you? Could you please shed some more light on the newer model amps that will work(which ones, if i replace mine with the ones you recommend will I have to redo all of the plugs, or can I just substitute it and it'll work with the stock radio speakers)? It seems like you know what you're talking about- i gotta ask- could you explain how you know/what newer models will work? I want to know before I bolt and go get one. I hate to say it, but I'm dying without music.

Note: ***I'm definitely looking for something under 160ish, don't have a problem with used. Dealership quoted me refurbished for $500, new for $1200. I laughed when he wanted to know if I wanted to pursue it further. Found a 2001 salvage for 89.99 online. Not trying to blow anyone out of the park, just looking to replace what was there. Also having trouble finding salvage yards with this or the 2000 model in stock :(

Thanks again for viewing and/or answering.