Homelink Button Backlight

genepope

I have a 2011 ES350. although on all the other Lexus I have and had the overhead buttons where backlit, including the homelink buttons, on the 350 they are not. The dealer verified this but it just seems so chevy that I can't believe it is true. Would a few of you look at yours (in the dark with the lights on) and let me know what you find?

Thanks!

I have a 2011 ES350. although on all the other Lexus I have and had the overhead buttons where backlit, including the homelink buttons, on the 350 they are not. The dealer verified this but it just seems so chevy that I can't believe it is true. Would a few of you look at yours (in the dark with the lights on) and let me know what you find?

Thanks!

I have a 2011 also.

There is a small green light next to the SOS button and on the SOS button, the SOS letters are lit in red.

Other than that, no lights.

Do you have the green and red lights I described?

All I know is that I have hit the D&*N SOS button about 3 times now while trying to find my homelink buttons at night! I have figured out now how to at least cancel the SOS call. The first couple of times I waited for the nice lady to come on and ask if I was OK...and I was like "sorry just trying to open my garage door" :blushing:

I do have the red and green lights. Yes, this is my first ES. I have had an LS460L, a RX400h and two LXs. They all had backlit homelink buttons.

You're talking about three $75,000 vehicles and a $60,000 vs a $40,000 vehicle. These are the things you notice when you go from the top of the line to the entry level model.

The bad news is your homelink lights don't light up, the good news is you can buy an IS in addition to your ES for what your LS460L cost to ease your pain ;)

I haven't figured out what the white light LED is for located next to the Homelink and SOS buttons on my 2010. It helps somewhat in finding the garage door button, but barely. Any thoughts?

Paul

LOL. Good point (I don't think I'll mention what my other vehicles are :-) )

I guess I was expecting the little things to be there and that I was just giving up the big things. Oh well. I can always trade it back in on an LS I suppose. It is a comfortable car though and I do like to slightly better mileage than I got in the LS.

You're talking about three $75,000 vehicles and a $60,000 vs a $40,000 vehicle. These are the things you notice when you go from the top of the line to the entry level model.

The bad news is your homelink lights don't light up, the good news is you can buy an IS in addition to your ES for what your LS460L cost to ease your pain ;)

My 2008 has unlit buttons as well, and the other night I mistakenly opened up the sunroof instead of the garage door (6 degrees out and 2 inches of snow on the roof), but only a few pieces of snow fell inside, on the passenger seat. Now, I always use the ambient lighting feature.

I assume the dim-lit white light referred to is Lexus' lame attempt of ambient interior lighting.

My $33k 2008 VW R32 had lit homelink buttons.

LOL. Good point (I don't think I'll mention what my other vehicles are :-) )

I guess I was expecting the little things to be there and that I was just giving up the big things. Oh well. I can always trade it back in on an LS I suppose. It is a comfortable car though and I do like to slightly better mileage than I got in the LS.

Its a great car. I love the LS, but honestly you could buy two ES' for what one LS costs...and this generation ES drives and rides a lot more like the LS than they used to.

A lot of the little things are there in this generation, power tilt and telescopic wheel, automatic smog detection, backup camera, park distance control, panoramic roof. Its just like anything else, at the lower price point theres just not enough money left over for the little details like in the LS...

My $33k 2008 VW R32 had lit homelink buttons.

But it didn't have a power tilt telescopic steering wheel, a real wood interior, vetillated seats, backup camera, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I like the ES and I do think it rides almost as nice as my LS did and I actually think it is quieter. It even has seat coolers which are nice on a hot summer day. I guess they have to cut back on things somewhere but backlighting the homelink buttons seems an odd place to cut since almost every other button in the car has it. Oh well.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ES and I do think it rides almost as nice as my LS did and I actually think it is quieter. It even has seat coolers which are nice on a hot summer day. I guess they have to cut back on things somewhere but backlighting the homelink buttons seems an odd place to cut since almost every other button in the car has it. Oh well.

It does seem like someone in engineering just missed that little detail when they were hurrying off to meet their friends for a beer. I mean it's such a tiny detail that it begs to make one believe that one would actually leave it out on purpose.

Paul

Little things like that save big money from a production standpoint...

Your right to be sure, and like every other product you buy, none are completely perfect with every feature your little heart could desire. Does Lexus follow these forums just to take the temperature of the user market? If they do maybe they will take note of this little tempest in a teapot. In the mean time I'm going to tape a piece of kryptonite to my overhead button so it will glow in the dark! LOL

Paul

This is what modifications are for. <_<

You first! :)

If someone gave me one i could try it and post a tutorial. I know i could do it! :cheers:

There isn't a doubt in my mind that you could. :cheers:

I've solved this problem by placing a small (1/4" x 1/2") piece of Velcro on the garage door button. I don't have to look up for the button, just reach feel it and push. I can also hit the lights-on button next to it without looking up.

I've solved this problem by placing a small (1/4" x 1/2") piece of Velcro on the garage door button. I don't have to look up for the button, just reach feel it and push. I can also hit the lights-on button next to it without looking up.

A great idea. Thanks for the tip!

Paul

Paul

I like hitting the SOS button. Then I ask the nice lady that comes on if she can help me open my garage door! :blink:

Paul

I like hitting the SOS button. Then I ask the nice lady that comes on if she can help me open my garage door! :blink:

I like your idea the best. I think it would be fun to organize a forum-wide "SOS Button-In Day", where every one uses their SOS button to get there door open. Maybe we would get Lexus attention re: the unlit HomeLink button problem!!

Sounds the the 60's to me! Yea!!

Paul