Removing High-Beam Bulb Assembly

RX in NC

Has anyone had to remove their driver's side high-beam bulb assembly to rectify a failed no. 9005 bulb or perhaps just a bulb loose in its socket? While doing a pre-check of all systems last night prior to taking the vehicle in for our annual North Carolina Safety Inspection requirement, I saw that the driver's side high-beam was not working. Hard to believe that a high-beam bulb would ever burn out as little as they are used....

It appears that I have to remove the battery in order to gain enough working room to be able to pull the high-beam assembly. Anyone figured out how to pull that assembly without removing the battery? And does the assembly twist out, pull out, unscrew out, or what? Never had to go after a high-beam bulb before on any vehicle, so I'm not familiar with this particular process. As usual, our owners manual says "in the event of a faulty bulb, proceed directly to your Lexus dealership for repairs"....

Thanks for any guidance that anyone can provide here....

Has anyone had to remove their driver's side high-beam bulb assembly to rectify a failed no. 9005 bulb or perhaps just a bulb loose in its socket? While doing a pre-check of all systems last night prior to taking the vehicle in for our annual North Carolina Safety Inspection requirement, I saw that the driver's side high-beam was not working. Hard to believe that a high-beam bulb would ever burn out as little as they are used....

It appears that I have to remove the battery in order to gain enough working room to be able to pull the high-beam assembly. Anyone figured out how to pull that assembly without removing the battery? And does the assembly twist out, pull out, unscrew out, or what? Never had to go after a high-beam bulb before on any vehicle, so I'm not familiar with this particular process. As usual, our owners manual says "in the event of a faulty bulb, proceed directly to your Lexus dealership for repairs"....

Thanks for any guidance that anyone can provide here....

It should be just a twist of about 30-35 degrees in one direction or the other. You're right, high beams don't burn out very often, unless you live in the toolies. City dwellers would hardly ever use high beams. I would 1st check to make sure it's not just a dirty contact. That can often be the case in something like that that doesn't get used often.

I did have to remove the battery, and it was indeed a counterclockwise twist of about 35 degrees. To my surprise, the bulb was burned out. Went with a twin-pack of Sylvania Eco-Bright 9005 halogens. Using a coupon from Advance Auto Parts, cost me about $25 for the set of two bulbs. Wound up replacing the passenger side bulb as well when I saw how dim it was compared to the new one. Had to move the wiper fluid fill tube out of the way to get to the passenger side high-beam assembly - just one bolt. All things considered, an easy job....