Not The Typical Warning Lights.

Old13NewLs

I have spent the past week (since I bought the car) trying to find out what the warning lights mean. I have a 1990 ls, and the battery, brake, antilock, rear tail light, etc. keep coming on. A friend who also owns an ls said it's just the alt or battery. Sure enough, as i get home from buying the car, it wouldn't start again. So the next day i buy and install a new battery and alt. It didn't fix the problem. It starts and drives perfect, but these lights are driving me insane. They stay on til the car is warm, and go away when the car comes to a stop. But the blower motor (heat) dies down quite a bit, and the lights dim. As soon as i get on the gas again, the warning lights come on again. But all the interior light get bright, and the blower motor blows harder. I'm guessing I have a draw somewhere? I have a good mechanical ability, but I am clueless when it comes to electronics or wiring. I am very ashamed to admit it, but I don't even know how to use a multimeter... I have seen this instance in several forums, but i have yet to find a definite answer or solution. I would appreciate any help on this subject. If this has been covered, and solved in any other post, I am very apologetic. The only answers I have found are "it's your battery", or "it's your alternator". As I mentioned, I have bought new, and replaced both. Not remaned, btw. Even if someone can lead me in the right direction, i would be forever in debt.

My first thought is that you have a bad ground path someplace. I'm not sure where they are on these cars, but given the age of the car, some ground point is not making good contact. As the revs come up and the alternator output increases, the ground reveals itself.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Any idea how I would test to find a bad ground? I have also read about the trunk wiring issue. Is it just the loom on the left hand side? Or are there more wires in the trunk I can check? I took a look at the ones on the left, and there doesn't seem to be any gashes out of the wires. Even if that were the case, would it cause that bad of a drain? One again, thank you for any help.

Anything? Any sure fire ways to troubleshoot this thing? Anything helps at this point. I do plan on adding my contributions once I get used to this thing. But as for now, I am still a dunce.. It was charging at 15 and a half amps yesterday, but now it's running at 12. I'm pretty sure the alt is bad yet again. what is really weird is the alt fuse didn't blow.

ok, so after several tests and faulty alternators, I found the issue. For some ridiculous reason the parts store had a bad batch of alternators. Had one ordered from another store, slapped it on, and it drove as it should for about 2 days. Now the cel came on, and i'm catching brief sniffs of methane? Cat going bad i'm guessing? Has anyone else had this issue? It seriously smells like someone farted in my air ducts. And it only lingers for a block or so. I wasn't driving out of the ordinary. Just cruising along at 40mph. I plan on checking the code/codes in the morning. But I can't be the only one with new !Removed! air freshener.