Ipod Software -- There Has To Be A Better Way!

jgilbert

I have a 2010 ES. I recently bought a 16 gig IPOD and have my entire music collection on it. The problem is that I have several hundred separate artists and several thousand songs. Is there a faster way to scroll through the songs and artists other than pulling up the first screen (of maybe five), hitting the page down button on the navigation screen, getting the next five artists or song titles, and hitting the page down button again....etc, etc. etc. It takes a half hour to get to an artist in the middle of the alphabet. Any suggestions to speed up this process???

I have a 2010 ES. I recently bought a 16 gig IPOD and have my entire music collection on it. The problem is that I have several hundred separate artists and several thousand songs. Is there a faster way to scroll through the songs and artists other than pulling up the first screen (of maybe five), hitting the page down button on the navigation screen, getting the next five artists or song titles, and hitting the page down button again....etc, etc. etc. It takes a half hour to get to an artist in the middle of the alphabet. Any suggestions to speed up this process???

Quick question: Does your initially chosen song continue to play as you scroll or does your car play the top song of each five?

The answer will tell us about your firmware version.

No matter the answer to that question, creative playlists is one answer. Perhaps someone has other suggestions.

When I am playing a song, and scrolling, the top of each five then starts playing and interrupts the song I was playing -- which is not good.

What does this tell you about my firmware? Is it the older version or the newer? If older, can I upgrade my firmware (or can the dealer)?

Playlists are an answer, but I was hoping that there is something that Lexus thought of to address this issue. The Apple software on an IPOD addresses this problem, you can easily scroll through artists/songs quickly and if you spead up the scrolling, you can even scroll by letter. I can't believe Lexus didn't think of this and address it in its software.

When I am playing a song, and scrolling, the top of each five then starts playing and interrupts the song I was playing -- which is not good.

What does this tell you about my firmware? Is it the older version or the newer? If older, can I upgrade my firmware (or can the dealer)?

Playlists are an answer, but I was hoping that there is something that Lexus thought of to address this issue. The Apple software on an IPOD addresses this problem, you can easily scroll through artists/songs quickly and if you spead up the scrolling, you can even scroll by letter. I can't believe Lexus didn't think of this and address it in its software.

You have the older firmware. See your dealer. With the new firmware, your first selected song continues to play as you scroll until you pick a new song. This is a more "natural" method of scrolling and saves just a bit of time since you don't have to wait as the top song of each group of five starts to play as you scroll.

See your dealer, an update is available. An improvement, but scrolling still takes forever!!

You have the older firmware. See your dealer. With the new firmware, your first selected song continues to play as you scroll until you pick a new song. This is a more "natural" method of scrolling and saves just a bit of time since you don't have to wait as the top song of each group of five starts to play as you scroll.

See your dealer, an update is available. An improvement, but scrolling still takes forever!!

I even tried using the voice commands. There is a command for audio, but when I select audio, I get a response that audio doesn't function in this mode.

I even tried using the voice commands. There is a command for audio, but when I select audio, I get a response that audio doesn't function in this mode.

Someone else will need to jump in here for this discussion. I think voice commands are very limited with audio. I think they are limited to things like, "Sat 3" goes to the third page of Satellite radio and "Scan Up" scans up and "Channel One Five One" switches to channel 151. The commands are in the navigation manual. Fairly sure there are NO voice commands for iPod other than "USB".

:) :lol:

I love it. The only thing that I have found that helps a little bit is to make sure the heat isn't blowing full blast...and to try not to yell at it (that is easier said than done) sometime I just use the voice controls to get a laugh! :)

The one I have perfected is the temp. It actually understands numbers well. It kills me though as accurate as programs are today with voice reconigtion I really think they used someone who couldn't speak English or programed a foreign language to *BLEEP* people off!

I went to the dealer over the weekend and the dealer insists there is no firmware upgrade for the 2010 ES 350 audio system. Do you have some information on this? Did you have your car audio upgraded by the dealer?

I went to the dealer over the weekend and the dealer insists there is no firmware upgrade for the 2010 ES 350 audio system. Do you have some information on this? Did you have your car audio upgraded by the dealer?

Same here. My car is at the dealer since last week to take care of some rattle sounds in the rear part of the car (possibly rear windshield) and I asked them about this problem of picking and playing the first track of every page automatically while scrolling. He confirmed this to be a known issue with NO update of firmware yet. But he did say,that the update should be coming soon.

Same here. My car is at the dealer since last week to take care of some rattle sounds in the rear part of the car (possibly rear windshield) and I asked them about this problem of picking and playing the first track of every page automatically while scrolling. He confirmed this to be a known issue with NO update of firmware yet. But he did say,that the update should be coming soon.

If you hear that an update on the horrible IPOD software is available, please post on here and let us know. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Interesting...can someone who has had the update done post the TSIB#?

Mine was for an RX, but this is what was written on the service ticket LSB-0039-09

Whomever has been told there isnt a fix, perhaps there isn't one for your cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought this up to my dealer last week when my ES was in for service. He said there was a TSB out but I would have to leave the car because it will take a couple of hours. I couldn't believe this so I found the Toyota Tech Support site and for $15 for 48 hour access I went looking for myself. I found 2 TSBs, L-SB-0039-09 and TSB2646, that cover the IPOD problem plus other problems. I had the TSB, L-SB-0039-09 done today. IT SOLVED THE SCROLLING AND AUTO-START PROBLEM. This was the 1st time they had done the TSB and were a little intimidated on the 13 pages.

I called about 1300 EDT and they were just starting on it. By the time I went out and got lunch to bring home to eat, about 15 minutes, my service writer called me to say they were done.

I think there were 2 problems with my dealer doing the TSB, 1. They had never had to do 1 like it before, and 2. It wasn't really affecting the operation of the basic vehicle so they didn't see they need.

I also asked about updating the map data and was told they would have to order the parts and it would cost close to $500 to update. I said no thanks.

Bottom line is that the TSB, L-SB-0039-09, fixed the IPOD scrolling and auto-start problem. I am happy now.

Hope this helps.