Car Won't Start After Fill Up In Cold Weather

I have a 2006 Lexus RX400h with 48,000 km (30,000 miles).

Last week it was balmy -20'C (or -4'F) in Calgary.

I had left the car in the park and ride lot for 8 hours (with the block heater unplugged as there was none availabe on the lot).

When I picked up the car, the car started fine, and I warmed it up before driving off.

After 10 minutes of driving, I stopped to fill up the car.

After fill up, the car started for 5 seconds and it turned off.

I was not able to start the car again. I tried right away to restart the car but was unsuccessful.

Not sure what happended, I tried 10 minutes later to start the car and it started.

We had the same cold weather for the next 3 days and the car started fine after I went to pick it up after work at the park and ride.

I suspect it may be the filling up in cold weather that caused my car to not start.

Anyone experience this before?

I had left the car in the park and ride lot for 8 hours (with the block heater unplugged as there was none availabe on the lot).

When I picked up the car, the car started fine, and I warmed it up before driving off.

I was not able to start the car again. I tried right away to restart the car but was unsuccessful.

Not sure what happended, I tried 10 minutes later to start the car and it started.

We had the same cold weather for the next 3 days and the car started fine after I went to pick it up after work at the park and ride.

I suspect it may be the filling up in cold weather that caused my car to not start.

by "car won't start" do you mean the READY light would not come on? If that is the case, it is often the 12 volt battery being weak. How old is your battery?

The READY light turned on for 5 seconds and it would turn off.

My battery is the OEM battery.

I doubt it is the battery as the car started without hesitation in 8+hrs of being parked in cold weather.

After the car had been driven for 10 minutes, turned off for gas, and then the car won't start.

by "car won't start" do you mean the READY light would not come on? If that is the case, it is often the 12 volt battery being weak. How old is your battery?

If you have an 06 with the OEM battery then I advise you to replace it, especially with ambient temperatures as you describe. I bought and installed a Costco Kirkland for $60. That is very inexpensive insurance.

Mines 2006 with OEM as well. That sounds like exactly the issue I had. Short trips (less than 10 minutes) and car not starting (not going to Ready Mode). Intermittent issue and sometimes waiting it would start. Even the dealer didn't know what the issue. Ended up just being a short in the battery. Been using the Kirkland battery for a few months now in sometimes -30C (-22F) not plugged in and never had a problem yet. I suggest changing that 12V battery.

The OEM starting battery is one of the weakest links in the 400h. It is your problem, as far as i can see, barring a bad connection. The Costco Kirkland battery has more cold cranking power than the origional battery and a bettery warranty.

Cold cranking power means nothing with the hybrid as there is no cranking involved. However, usually with more CCA comes more reserve capacity, which is something the RX can use. To the OP, I agree, the 12 volt battery probably needs to be replaced.