Rx300 Timing Belt Replacement

rx49er

New Member rquesting advice for 2000 RX300 FWD has 125K miles and mechanic states timing belt is overdue for repair. They recommend preventative add on repairs to include these parts/labor: 2 additional belts; water pump replacement (timing belt kit, with water pump); camshaft and crank oil seal replacement; Timing Belt Tensioner. Also, recommend spark plug replacement since they say it is overdue at 125K miles. My thought is just replace timing and drive belts (if needed) and check the water pump, cam seal, and idler to see if in need of replacement. I will hold off replacing spark plugs for now as they were replaced at 60K miles with iridium plugs. Bought the RX300 used in 2003 with 50K miles. Major repair has been the transmission replacement at 110K miles. What are your recommendations regarding the recommended preventative repairs? Thank You for your advice in advance.

My 2000 RX300 currently has 160,000 miles on it and I was faced with the same issue a couple of years ago. Because of the labor costs involved in removing all the stuff necessary to replace the timing belt, I opted to go ahead and replace the camshaft oil seals (they were already seeping anyway) and the water pump. Otherwise, if you have to replace either or both of those items in the future, you'll have to pay them again to remove all the stuff they removed to get to the timing belt. The additional cost was basically for the cost of the parts since the labor charge at that point was minimal. The real cost is for the labor to just get to the water pump and other stuff. So,since you're in the area . . . I'd opt to replace the water pump and cam seals. Also, I agree with you; I'd pass on the spark plugs since you replaced them at 60K and they should easily be good for another 60K.

Man the spark plugs are scheduled for 100k miles...They easily go 125k miles....As for the rest the waterpump and idler bearings could be done....Use OEM belt or equavilent...such as Mitushbosi and Koyo bearings and Aisin Water pump...these are the OEM manufacturer of these parts...