How To Test Suspension Springs

ihateduke

My 99 RX has about 190k on it and I had been hearing a noise (for about 2 years or more) that sounded like it was coming from the rear struts. I finally replaced all 4 struts this weekend and to my amazement, the rear shocks were in bad shape. When you push down the rod, it wouldn't come back up! I reused the original springs, but now I'm starting to wonder if by chance those springs are worn out since they were doing all the suspension in the rear? The shocks don't have that much strength compared to the springs, but the springs definitely seemed weak during removal, as compared to the front ones.

Any ideas? Should I just not worry about it? I just don't want to wear out the new shocks b/c the springs are weak.

My 99 RX has about 190k on it and I had been hearing a noise (for about 2 years or more) that sounded like it was coming from the rear struts. I finally replaced all 4 struts this weekend and to my amazement, the rear shocks were in bad shape. When you push down the rod, it wouldn't come back up! I reused the original springs, but now I'm starting to wonder if by chance those springs are worn out since they were doing all the suspension in the rear? The shocks don't have that much strength compared to the springs, but the springs definitely seemed weak during removal, as compared to the front ones.

Any ideas? Should I just not worry about it? I just don't want to wear out the new shocks b/c the springs are weak.

I don't think your rear springs are going to be as strong as the front because the front springs and struts have to carry the load of the engine and complete drive assy. the entire time, they never get a rest. The rear of the vehicle gets plenty of rest because most of the time cars have only 1 or 2 people in them. If the rear springs were as heavy as the front, it would make a lot harsher ride. Are the original rear struts gas, and the gas has leaked out of them? I realize most, if not all struts are gas probably, but they replace the shocks, which at one time (a thousand years ago, when I was a kid), were ALL non-gas. They only went where they were pushed, no gas to push them in either direction. Springs CAN wear out, But if it were me, I probably wouldn't worry about 'em. (unless you're a framer and carry your hogs to market in the back of your RX) JK :lol: