Oil Control Valve

retdep

I really need help. I was getting p code 1349.I went to Toyota and bought a new valve put it in and drove about 3 miles the check engine and trac light came on.scanned it and it was the same p code.I called Toyota and was informed that the valve filter might be clogged.

Could someone advise where the filter is located and possibly a diagram?

Thanks

Feel like i just went over all this. Bank 1 is a pain to get to. Bu ti found my bank 1 filter ALOT more clogged then my bank 2. Since cleaning them and the ocv on a 160k mile car i havent had any issues for 120 miles.

Bank 2

3899014049_large.jpg

Bank 1

3899014050_large.jpg

they are supposed to come out with the 14mm bolt, i had to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to get them both out, the tabs break off. Bank 1 is a really big pain. Be prepared to have a magnet handy.

I cleaned the screens they were not that dirty.

It runs smoother but tends to buck when accelerating after a stop.

Im gonna check and see if timing belt may have slipped a notch.Had a new belt and water pump about 23,000 miles ago.

• Like 1

You are in the same boat i am then. The oil control valves probably need to be replaced. Mine drives fine until it gets hot. then a slightly rough idle and the same bucking feeling comes back. I am guessing its the OCV's malfunctioning and advanceing and retarding the timing and give the car that bucking feel.

Or you have sludge and stuff starts moving around and blocks that screen......or worse yet, the VVti valve gear is failing...my neighbors Highlander had that happen...we tried to clean it, but it still wouldnt work (toyota and lexus say they are not serviceable.) He finally ended up changing the gear assemblly...

I replaced one of the valves but it was did not work.the part was 15340 20010 for the front bank and 15330 20010 for the back

The dealer said that either number works for both banks.

The dealer parts diagram shows 1533020010 for both banks.

Has anyone tried this?

I was under the impression that there are 2 different part numbers and they are not interchangable. Perhaps that is the problem

15340-0A010 LH

15330-0A010 RH

are the part numbers i have found.

I would like to know what happens if you remove the OCV filters on a car thats going to get new OCV's anyways. If it is sludge moving around inside the engine it would probably make it through the ocv and to the oil filter wouldnt it?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have had all of the same problems and codes as everybody else, P1349 & P1351. Mine would run fine until it was warmed up, then misfire all of bank 2. I guess I got lucky. I cleaned the filter and OCV, but that didn't work. I had a new OCV already on order from partsgeek.com ($63.25 with free shipping). I installed the new OCV and haven't had any problems yet. The filter is easiest to remove if you take the air filter box out.

• 6 months later...

Can someone give me the link to buy the Oil Control Valve for BANK2. I'm getting the P1354, and the cylinder 2, 4, 6 misfire and random/multiple misfire codes. I already checked the valve and filter on bank2 for sludge and there was none. I can't seem to find the Oil Control Valve for my car though online. (I checked partsgeek but i can't seem to find it?)

1999 Lexus ES300.

Even though my codes point to BANK2, should I check BANK1 anyways?

I first googled Lexus parts online. There are several for OEM Lexus parts. I got the OEM part number off their website, then googled that part number and that led me to partsgeek. rockauto would be another site to check. Good luck.

To your other question, I never checked Bank 1 and have not had any problems.I have been driving 6 months and thousands of miles since I replaced the valve and have not had any problems. I would just do the one you are having trouble with.

Is it 153300A010 or 153400A010. For the part number. I'm having a hard time finding it and finding other threads with the same unanswered questions. A link the the actual part you bought would be more helpful.

Ok I think I found it, I want the LEFT for bank 2 right? Even though I have been reading that both parts work for either side.

http://www.amazon.com/dorman-917-211-variable-timing-solenoid/dp/b009aa8ihi/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382721413&sr=8-1&keywords=15340-0A010

• 2 months later...

Feel like i just went over all this. Bank 1 is a pain to get to. Bu ti found my bank 1 filter ALOT more clogged then my bank 2. Since cleaning them and the ocv on a 160k mile car i havent had any issues for 120 miles.

Bank 2

3899014049_large.jpg

Bank 1

3899014050_large.jpg

Excellent post, my friend. We bought 2000 ES300 and it throws P1663 plus TRAC off light. With some extensive digging, I found your post. I pulled oil filter out, though it was not quite clogged, the screen was yellowish. I sprayed it with carb cleaner until it was totally clear. Had to use needle nose pliers and remove air filter cover to get to it.

Then, I pulled OCV out. I checked it for stickiness with small flat head screwdriver. Basically, it's a long solenoid with several orephicies supplying oil to apparently VVT. I must say, that there was some stickiness in it. After I cleaned it, plunger was moving much easier and freely, before, there was some catch to it. I think, so much for not doing good oil changes. Car was owned by a female. Clueless.

I then plugged my Scangauge in and cleared code. Before, when I was trying to do this, CEL will blink and return right away. Now, CEL went off. I let engine run for maybe 3 minutes, and then TRAC OFF disappered by itself.

Hopefully, it'll stay that way.

Once again, much obliged for post and pics.

The filter is actually located on the end of the cylinder head. I believe it is a 14mm hex size. It seems odd, and is hard to recognize as a filter, because it just looks like a hex head bolt on the end of the cylinder head. Same end as the OCV. I just replaced my bank 2 OCV. A little harder than Bank 1. I cleaned the filter on bank 1 and it was hardly dirty, didn't help anything. I didn't bother with cleaning the filter this last time and it is running fine. Bought the Dorman OCV from rockauto.com. Been driving on Bank 1 replacement for about a year now. For bank2 pull the air filter box out of the way and reach through the hoses to unplug elec connector. Took maybe 20 minutes total. Some aggravation with bad location.

• 3 weeks later...

This forum is great !!! Could any of the Lexus experts
please provide me with some insight regarding the CEL code 1349! I have a 2000
Lexus ES300 which appears to be having problems with the variable timing system
after having a recent oil system flush. I am receiving a CEL code P1349 and the
car is idling rough, along with hard shifting and a stiff brake pedal. The code
and the symptoms appear to be related to the VVT system. I read some of the
posts and started with OCV. I removed both OCVs, cleaned them and tested them
by hooking directly to the battery and they both seemed to be working. I also
removed both the OCV filters and cleaned them thoroughly, re installed everything and reset
the code. It ran fine for a few minutes and it started idling rough and the
dreaded 1349 code reappeared its ugly head again. By the way I am not getting
the P1354 code like some people have reported.

Are there any other areas I can check without doing a major
overhaul.

Was I supposed to manually advance the timing after cleaning
the OCV valves.

What else can cause the dreaded P1349 code. Thanks for any
input.

I have been looking around with the same problems. I have a 2000 ES-300 code (P1354) is always there which I understand is for Bank 2 VVT/ OCV closer to radiator. I also get the misfire codes (P0300, P0302, P0304, P0306) I also got code (P1351) today for the first time, I have hard braking sometimes and have gotten ABS codes (C1271, C1272, C1273, C1274, C1275, C1276, C1277, C1278, C1201) which I beleive are related.

I already took the screen out and cleaned it which didn't look dirty but before I think about doing the VVT/ OCV I was wondering if you had to worry about messing the timing up or had to deal with the timing at all?

@vinniekhosla from the sounds of it in my searches the code (P1349) is for bank1 which is the one closer to the firewall.

Note: The check engine and trac off lights only seem to come on after the engine has been running at normal operating temps for awhile, this morning when I stopped at store I reset it and it came on in less than a block instead of 7-10mile in the below freezing weather we have been having.

UPDATE: I purchased part 15340-0A010 (for bank 2) from closest dealer for $88.53 and installed it two days ago. According to parts counter timming would not have to be messed with. All of my symptoms seem to have cleared up so far, all hesitations, poor running, vibrations, poor braking are gone so far. The old part I did not see any formation of sludge on it so I would assume it was the electronics that went bad in it. I will try to remember to repost an update in a month or so for this issue. Good luck with all who try to fix the P1354 code. The good thing was this bank for me only took about a half hour total (took air box out and one hose) but bank 1 looks like it would be a bit more to it and taking more out.

• 1 year later...

Are there two OCV and where each one is located on 2000 RX300? Can some one give me link to see the pictures for each and instructions to replave it? I can locate them on my RX300 and need help.

Are there two OCV and where each one is located on 2000 RX300? Can some one give me link to see the pictures for each and instructions to replace it? I can locate them on my RX300 and need help.