Front End Noise When Braking?

vegasrob

05 RX330 2WD, 95k miles. Car just had its 90k mile service and 95k mile oil change, all sections of the car were verified as operational. In the last few days, a strange noise has been heard from the front end of the car. It doesn't happen all the time when braking, but it does happen ONLY while braking. It sounds like a suspension component is grinding while the car comes to a stop - almost if a brake caliper were catching on a high point of a warped rotor, but it's further in than that, doesn't sound like the brakes. I was thinking a pinion arm or similar. The front struts were replaced at 65k miles, the trans doesn't slip or shift funny, the steering wheel doesn't pull or shimmy, and the tires are wearing fairly evenly at 60k miles of usage. Anyone else experience this type of problem? I checked under the car, and nothing is leaking. The pinion boots seem tight and not overly squishy. Thanks in advance!

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone *know* from experience what worn front bearings or a worn axle feels like on these cars? I've never had a front wheel drive car before, so this is a new experience for me. Is there a way for me to check without pulling the front end apart?

rob, your original description sounds like an abs problem.

It presents like an intermittent grinding sound from one or more wheels while braking. You will also feel it in the brake pedal.

The abs warning light does not always illuminate for this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

05 RX330 2WD, 95k miles. Car just had its 90k mile service and 95k mile oil change, all sections of the car were verified as operational. In the last few days, a strange noise has been heard from the front end of the car. It doesn't happen all the time when braking, but it does happen ONLY while braking. It sounds like a suspension component is grinding while the car comes to a stop - almost if a brake caliper were catching on a high point of a warped rotor, but it's further in than that, doesn't sound like the brakes. I was thinking a pinion arm or similar. The front struts were replaced at 65k miles, the trans doesn't slip or shift funny, the steering wheel doesn't pull or shimmy, and the tires are wearing fairly evenly at 60k miles of usage. Anyone else experience this type of problem? I checked under the car, and nothing is leaking. The pinion boots seem tight and not overly squishy. Thanks in advance!

Possibilities:

Under heavy braking the lower caliper edge might be contacting the rotor outer edge due to:

A) Worn guide pins.

B) Worn guide pin sleeve within the caliper mounting bracket.

C) Caliper mounting bracket distorting under brake stress.