Wind Noise Depressing Me

hi all

have only had my 07 350 for 3 weeks, and the wind noise is really annoying me.

At speeds of over 100kmh (60mph), the wind noise seems to dramatically increase.

I don't think it's the mirrors, as I've driven with them folded (in fact folded them electrically while driving) and it didn't make much difference.

Seems to happen in some travel directions more than others. eg on the same highway it seems worse in one direction than the other

Is this normal on the RX?

:(

thanks

hi all

At speeds of over 100kmh (60mph), the wind noise seems to dramatically increase.

I don't think it's the mirrors, as I've driven with them folded (in fact folded them electrically while driving) and it didn't make much difference.

Seems to happen in some travel directions more than others. eg on the same highway it seems worse in one direction than the other

thanks

I don't think it's normal for the 350. Lexus in general is known for their quiet rides, and that is what I have experienced with my 08 from the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. It has always been amazingly quiet in all driving conditions, including high freeway speeds. I don't believe your experience is the norm for RX's..

I've had an 07 RX350 since new, now have 66k miles on it. Wind noise has never been too much of an issue although I will say that it's never been quite as quiet as I would have expected/hoped. I'm sure you're aware that, like most cars, even small changes in ambient wind speed and particularly direction can have a marked affect. Cross winds are particularly noticeable.

I've tried moving the cross bars on the top carrier around with little affect. At one point I thought perhaps the weather stripping around the doors was dried out and not seating as well as it should. But I tried some lubricant on the moldings with no affect.

I gather you bought your vehicle used. I assume you got a CarFax report indicating it had never been in an accident. Obviously an accident could have caused misalignment of one of the doors, rear hatch or sun roof. Absent that, I'd still wonder whether there's an air leak somewhere. I assume you've cycled the sunroof, all the doors and the rear hatch to ensure they're fully closed.

Not sure if the dealer would have an ultrasonic air leak detector. If so, they should be able to use the detector around every door and window opening as the car is driven to see if they can pinpoint the source.

Sometimes tire/road noise will cause a sound that mimics wind noise. However, that would not explain the difference in noise going one direction rather than another. Perhaps the highway is surfaced differently.

My RX has increased tire noise over new as the tires have worn and it is now at 35K miles - ready for a new set. Check Tire Rack for the tires you presently have to see if road noise may be an issue with them.

hi guys

took the door trims off to check whether the tinting guys had replaced everything. It appears to be as it should, with a plastic stuck on sheet covering the opening, and a thick clothlike lining on the inner panel.

ALso removed the roof rack cross bars, which seemed to have little or no effect on the noise I was getting.

I too was wondering whether it was tyre noise, though somehow instinctively (given all the various parameters at the time) I feel it isn't.

The tyres were the Yokohama Parada Spec x which were quite highly rated on tirerack, which is in fact why I bought them.

I wonder if I'm being too picky with the wind noise... I've got it booked for the dealers to look at in a few days. Let's see what they say

cheers

Satz

Closing the moonroof sliding cloth cover can reduce wind noise in that area. I would try that if you haven't yet. I also recently bought the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires, and they are so quiet that I hear wind noise that was previously masked by tire noise!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd make sure the the tires are properly inflated and see if your windshield is OEM or have ever been changed. I had my windshield changed this summer with oem and caused a lot of wind noise above 50 mph due to improper sealing at installation. Second time, they sealed it better and the noise went away. The hissing and constant wind noise did irritate me quite a bit.

• 5 months later...

I have an 07 and that may have been the biggest initial disappointment (ah, but there have been so many more since then) was how darn loud it was on the highway, new tires didn't do much.

• 1 month later...

hi all

thanks

I have a problem with the sunroof is opened and all the other windows are up.....It sounds like a helicopter..UGH

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 07 and that may have been the biggest initial disappointment (ah, but there have been so many more since then) was how darn loud it was on the highway, new tires didn't do much.

I suspect it was your wheel bearings, not wind noise.