1997 80,000 Miles W/ Original Timing Belt

jeeps005

I was unclear. I had changed the belt at the time interval of seven years, one year late, but still 50k kilometers under the mileage interval. The belt was intact, but obviously badly worn - the teeth were printing through to the smooth side, which is one indication. So the engine is fine. My point was simply that Lexus knows best when to do the change by statistical analysis, not by anecdotal evidence.

The Lexus V-8 is probably one of the best engines in the world, ever, and it would be a shame to destroy one for trying to save a few dollars.

SRK

I was unclear. I had changed the belt at the time interval of seven years, one year late, but still 50k kilometers under the mileage interval. The belt was intact, but obviously badly worn - the teeth were printing through to the smooth side, which is one indication. So the engine is fine. My point was simply that Lexus knows best when to do the change by statistical analysis, not by anecdotal evidence.

The Lexus V-8 is probably one of the best engines in the world, ever, and it would be a shame to destroy one for trying to save a few dollars.

SRK

I am good at regular maintenance like oil change and transmission fluid etc but when it comes to time belt I still have the original at 88200 miles. I have a 1996 LS400 I bought at 19000 miles 6 years ago. I called the dealer when the car was serviced up to 19000 miles and they verified the timing belt has not been replaced. Here is my question:

What are essential parts to be replaced when it comes to timing belt?

Option one; Independent place:

Everything included, cam seals, crank seals, pulleys, TB and WP all in: $995, source of parts claimed to be original from Toyota.

Option two: Independent place but claims they only use original Lexus parts, 2 yrs/ 24000 mile

TB and WP, $1150, cam and crank seals extra

Option three: Toyota dealer

TB and WP package, $700 with a one year warranty, cam and crank seal to be looked at upon arrival, could be another $700. Service advisor said the seals are rarely needed.

Option four: Lexus dealer

Everything included, cam seal, crank seals, pulleys, TB and WP package $1472.

Could you all master mechanics verify which are the parts that need to be replaced? Which is the preferred option. I will stop by at option one place and verify the parts source. Thanks very much in advance.

The belt has to be replaced, obviously. The water pump should be inspected as it has a weep hole. Any coolant there, replace it. Seals are inspected, and I've never replaced one. On the Vvti engines the cam seals are very difficult to get to, not and easy or cheap deal. Idler pulley bearings can be inspected, and the bearings replaced individually without having to replace the pulley as well. Cheap.

• 4 years later...

I just bought a 1997 LS400 with 88,000 miles. (April 2015) Believe it or not, it still had the original timing belt. (88,000 miles on it, but 18 years old) It is cracked, and looks bad, but still functional. I'm taking it to the shop in the next day or two for a belt, water pump, tensioners, etc... since it is an interference engine. Crazy to think it went 18 years. I put about 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year on a car, and will plan to change it again in the next 5-6 years. The previous owner was really living on borrowed time.

I just bought a 1997 LS400 with 88,000 miles. (April 2015) Believe it or not, it still had the original timing belt. (88,000 miles on it, but 18 years old) It is cracked, and looks bad, but still functional. I'm taking it to the shop in the next day or two for a belt, water pump, tensioners, etc... since it is an interference engine. Crazy to think it went 18 years. I put about 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year on a car, and will plan to change it again in the next 5-6 years. The previous owner was really living on borrowed time.

What brand belt kit will your shop install? I recommend the Aisin kit from RockAuto for about $175. I just installed one on my '96 and the quality is outstanding. It includes the timing belt, idler, tencipher pulley, water pump, and hydraulic tensioner. Best deal out here right now. Aisin is what you'll get in the toyota boxes without the high price.

Hi Ajahearn,

Have a question on another topic. I have a 1996 Lexus LS400 with 96000 km that has an initial idle speed of 1600 rpm.

Did you ever have a high idle speed at startup, then comes down in about 4 minutes as soon as the coolant warms up.

Also what is the idle speed when you start the engine first time of the day.

Thanks

Fred

I agree. That is too high. I also had a fast rpm idle and even somewhat after it warmed up. Once I changed the timing belt it seemed to slow down to normal range. I wonder if an older timing belt that is stretched could cause the timing or something to be a little out, and thus the computer compensates with faster idle? If so, you might want to check and make sure your timing belt isn't getting too old or ready to break.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I just changed Timing belt and pump on a 1995 LS400 with 95kmiles and the original belt. The belt looked like it had a little more in it. I got the car cheap and regarded the belt as

an must fix immediately. The water pump also looked quite ok. One of the idler wheels had a bearing that was dry and made some noise.

An unhappy guy here sold his 1998 LS cheap for scrap after belt broke at 135kmiles. *BLEEP* happens. I put i a mitsuboshi belt and an Aisin pump.

• 1 month later...

I have a '97 LS400 and replaced the timing belt and all the idlers and tensioners plus the water pump at 108,000 miles. I ordered the kit for the '97 from ebay and everything worked except the belt, it was for late '97. The early '97s were not interference engines, so check your mfg date, the late '97s were interference. If a late '97 breaks a belt, there can be huge repair bill to replace valves and possibly pistons.

If it was manufactured in late 97 it would be a 98 model year car and not a 97. Besides there has been much debate on whether or not ALL gen 2 cars 95-00 are interference engines.