Es300 Lock Issues

I have a 99 ES 300 with some lock issues, car is not worth much and I am trying to nurse it. The remote stopped working a year ago, changed battery to no avail, assumed I had gotten it wet or something. Shortly after, key is not able to insert all the way in driver side door lock so I unlock it from passenger side, and after a year of that it will not insert into passenger side lock.

Went to dealer who tried to program a new remote, they were not able to, and did not know why.

Are there any problems that a dealer would not be aware of when trying to program a remote? The manual locks inside work, so there is no issue of not being able to cycle through the locks. I am essentially looking for the cheapest way of being able to unlock the car, whether it be by remote or a key. The key which will not unlock the doors does start the car, though.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Nick

Not sure about the problem with the remote, but the tumblers in the lock might be a problem for you. Maybe they are bound up for overuse or damage. Have you tried lubing them with graphite? Worst case you might have to remove the lock and take it to a locksmith for repair. Perhaps the tumbler damage keeps the power lock from activating?

Tried the graphite. The power locks do work, just not with a remote.

Local locksmith may be the option, dealership would only replace all locks, I believe. Do locksmiths repair individual lock cylinders?

Thanks for the input,

Nick.

I don't see why not. I had one repaired about 10 years ago. They replaced the tumblers to rekey it for me. It was not off a Lexus, but they all work basically the same. You should call ahead before taking the door apart.