'01 Es300 U140E Trans - Swap Options?

GrayES300

I have had an ongoing transmission problem. My '01 ES300 has the U140E trans and it no longer goes in overdrive. I tried finding a new solenoid, but Lexus couldn't even get the right one after numerous attempts. Now I just want to swap out the trans. What are my cheapest options? It's very hard for me to find one out of a Lexus, but I heard a '02-'03 V6 Camry would work. Would it just bolt in or are there electronics that need to be changed? The earlier trans A541E is fairly cheap. Could it be installed with some electrial components or would it not work at all? This is not my daily driver so I am not in a rush to get the job done. Just want it done as cheaply as possible.

You need to contact a good auto wrecker who can track down a used tranny for you. They'll go on a wrecker call line over the entire USA and some wrecker in another state will contact them if they have one in stock, and then you'll get a call and a price. If you agree they'll get it shipped in for you to pick up.

!Removed! for using a Camry to swap in, the auto wrecker will have that info as well. Good Luck!

You need to contact a good auto wrecker who can track down a used tranny for you. They'll go on a wrecker call line over the entire USA and some wrecker in another state will contact them if they have one in stock, and then you'll get a call and a price. If you agree they'll get it shipped in for you to pick up.

!Removed! for using a Camry to swap in, the auto wrecker will have that info as well. Good Luck!

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure what my trans options were or if anyone had done a swap with a Camry for feedback as to how it went. I see a used one on ebay now for $999. Seems a little steep. Others are offering "rebuilt" ones on ebay for $1,500.

On the age of car you have, used is definitely the way to go. I can't stress enough that you need to get verified for sure that a tranny from a V6 Camry of the same vintage is a direct swap. Good Luck with your search.

Found another listing for used transmissions. Range in price from $1,400 - $1,800! Makes the rebuilt ones on ebay seem like a good deal, even if they were not totally rebuilt.

http://www.autopartsfair.com/lexus-used_transmissions/es300-2000-catalog.html?fit_notes=a8dc7d971db9f2d640e137dac905ec1f&seq_num=3