Stripped Out Oil Pan

golfman8

Good Morning,

I take my car to a Lexus mechanic because I am always afraid that the Quick Oil change places don't know what they are doing. I went and had my 175,000 mile oil change yesterday and the mechanic came in and told me that the oil pan was stripped!! He told me that Lexus is know to have a problem with this and is caused by having to oil changed so often. (every 5,000 miles) He could not install a new plug or an oversized one so he said that he could get me a new pan. He just called and told me that the cost would be $500.00. I told him that was the reason I went to Lexus mechanics because I trusted his work. He said that he would work with me and try and give me the best deal possible.

I need to know if anyone else has had this problem and is this an actuall problem with Lexus. I also do not feel that this is in anyway my fault and I should not have to pay anything. He told me that since he has only changed the oil the last three time ( I just moved to the area last year) that someone else could have overtightned it and it was just waiting to let go.

Any response will be greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Golfman8

If he changed it the last three times, then the pan is on him, or use an oversized plug...That is crap, He just wants you to cover for his mistake...

I'm with Lenore on this one. Every bolt and nut on that Lexus has a specified torque value. Without even asking, I bet they do not routinely use a torque wrench to re-tighten that drain plug. A good welding shop could probably effect some kind of repair but your best bet might be to find one off wreck somewhere. We have one here in town called Pull-a-Part where you go and remove whatever you want from the hundreds of wrecked cars. And ... that engine is a Toyota engine that's installed across multiple vehicles so finding that pan on the "secondary" market shouldn't be that much of a problem.

All that said, if no one but the dealer has done this work for you, I think you need to have a serious sit-down with the Service Manager - not the service writer - and explain how this is his problem and not yours.