90K Service And More?

OneGuyInCA

Hi folks,

I am in need of some advice/suggestions. I have a 1999 RX300 with about 94,000 miles on it. I would like to keep this vehicle for another 6 years at least. Since I only drive about 9K miles a year, that would bring the vehicle to about 148,000 miles.

I just got off the phone with my local Lexus dealer and this is what they recommend for major service:

• Timing Belt
  • Drive Belt
  • Serpentine Belt
  • Water Pump
  • Spark Plugs

Total for the above 5 items is $1179.

And the are in there with everything opened up, if changes are needed (and highly recommend by them)

• Idler Pulleys $89 x 2 = $188
  • Cam Seals $223

THEN...

• coolant
  • transmission (drain and fill)
  • differential
  • brake fluids (was done a month ago)
  • power steering fluids
  • Total for the above fluid change is $657

Total between all is ($1179 + $188 + $223 + $657) $2,247

What do you guys think of both the cost and items listed given my scenario???? They will provide a loaner for about 3 days while this work is being done.

Is it possible to get it done cheaper elsewhere?

tHE TIMING belt, waterpump and belts is not bad for Lexus, but the fluid prices are rediculous....Toyota changed my timing belt and water pump for $500.....An independent shop like Toyotas only or something like that would probably be cheaper. Make sure you use OE timing belt, and power steering and alternator belt. Your car doesnt have a serpetine belt, just two v belts. The timing belt can be made by Mitusboshi which is an OE manufacturer as well as Aisin water pump which is Original equipment manufacturer. The spark plugs quite frankly could go to 125k miles with no problems...The tranny fluid drain and fill is a must...DO NOT DUE a flush on the transmission unless you want to replace the tranny sooner....

Amazingly enough, the items suggested by your dealer are pretty much spot-on for an RX300 with that many miles and looking ahead to continued reliable ownership. That said, I would be seeking out a reliable independent shop who specializes in either Lexus or Toyota vehicles and get a 2nd opinion on the price. The parts are going to be pretty much the same but you should be able to shave a few hundred dollars off the labor costs. I had mine in for belt replacement last year and they found the cam seals leaking (they won't get better) and I agreed to go ahead and replace the water pump while they were in there for little more than the cost of the pump. The idler pulleys are questionable since they can be replaced if they fail without a whole lot of labor cost. Of course if they fail, it'll be according to Murhpy's Law at the worst possible time and in the worst possible place. Given the other costs involved, I might spring for that as well but I'd want another opinion whether these are common failure items. I know they can go at any time but it does fall under the category of Preventive Maintenance. The transmission fluid service is a must but the cost quoted for the fluid services seems high to me.

tHE TIMING belt, waterpump and belts is not bad for Lexus, but the fluid prices are rediculous....Toyota changed my timing belt and water pump for $500.....An independent shop like Toyotas only or something like that would probably be cheaper. Make sure you use OE timing belt, and power steering and alternator belt. Your car doesnt have a serpetine belt, just two v belts. The timing belt can be made by Mitusboshi which is an OE manufacturer as well as Aisin water pump which is Original equipment manufacturer. The spark plugs quite frankly could go to 125k miles with no problems...The tranny fluid drain and fill is a must...DO NOT DUE a flush on the transmission unless you want to replace the tranny sooner....

I went by the Lexus dealer to talk and they corrected me that there's no serpentine belt but two drive belts (v belts I suppose) plus the timing belt. Thanks for the caution on the tranny fluid. Since it now an 11 yr old car, I will probably pay to have the transmission fluid completely drained and refilled. They quoted about $310 for that service alone (which includes about $110 worth of fluids and the rest labor).

Amazingly enough, the items suggested by your dealer are pretty much spot-on for an RX300 with that many miles and looking ahead to continued reliable ownership. That said, I would be seeking out a reliable independent shop who specializes in either Lexus or Toyota vehicles and get a 2nd opinion on the price. The parts are going to be pretty much the same but you should be able to shave a few hundred dollars off the labor costs. I had mine in for belt replacement last year and they found the cam seals leaking (they won't get better) and I agreed to go ahead an replace the water pump while they were in there for little more than the cost of the pump. The idler pulleys are questionable since they can be replaced if they fail without a whole lot of labor cost. Of course if they fail, it'll be according to Murhpy's Law at the worst possible time and in the worst possible place. Given the other costs involved, I might spring for that as well but I'd want another opinion whether these are common failure items. I know they can go at any time but it does fall under the category of Preventive Maintenance. The transmission fluid service is a must but the cost quoted for the fluid services seems high to me.

Thanks!

I know it will definitely be cheaper at our Toyota shop. The big difference between Toyota and Lexus is that Lexus will give out a loaner at zero cost which could equate to a little over $100 in free rental. With a pregnant wife, both of us working, two kids, and a hectic schedule, the loaner is EXTREMELY convienient.

Why this topic is coming up in urgency now is that on cold weather starts (32 degrees or lower), I can sense and suspect that one of the belt is slipping (squealing noise), causing the charging voltage to drop from a steady 14.4 volts down to 11.X volts. I have a volt meter tool plugged into a lighter socket that gives me the reading. As soon as the squealing noise comes on is when the drop in voltage occurs. All is fine when temperature warms up and the car is driven for a while.

Absolutely make sure they do a drain and fill on the tranny. The quote for the fluid change seems high to me. Takes less than an hour to drop pan, clean filter or replace depending on whether it is a metal screen or paper, The parts are around $60 for the pan gasket and filter. It only takes 4.2 quarts of Tranny fluid for a drain and fill. As for the belt slipping, it may just need tightening..... I know you dont do this but here is a tutorial from Club Lexus that shows what is envolved with a transmission fluid change.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/220061-photo-diy-rx300-awd-transmission-fluid-pan-filter-change.html

Absolutely make sure they do a drain and fill on the tranny. The quote for the fluid change seems high to me. Takes less than an hour to drop pan, clean filter or replace depending on whether it is a metal screen or paper, The parts are around $60 for the pan gasket and filter. It only takes 4.2 quarts of Tranny fluid for a drain and fill. As for the belt slipping, it may just need tightening..... I know you dont do this but here is a tutorial from Club Lexus that shows what is envolved with a transmission fluid change.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/220061-photo-diy-rx300-awd-transmission-fluid-pan-filter-change.html

Is it pretty easy or straight forward to tighten the belt? I would be willing to attempt that.