Ls430 01,02,03,04 Differences?

karlrocks

Hi guys

I am looking into buying an ls430. I have seen a good few second hand ls430s from 2001 to 2004. I am trying to find out how the models have changed over the years (I believe they are minor changes?). I am aware that the new 2004 model has bluetooth techonology. Is this the only difference from the 2001 model?

If it makes any difference to the changes; I am looking at UK models..

Thanks alot,

Karl

there no major differences between 01-03 while 04 model have some major interior and exterior renovations. such as new front fenders and headlights, tail lights got different color, bigger rims and visible exaust tips compared to the 03 model

01- All new LS430 debut, first time the car has been completely reworked since 1995.

02- Fixed some issues with wind noise around the front windshield with new trim fittings. New base 16 inch wheels in response to outcry over 01's ugly 16 inchers.

03- No change

04- Major freshening, new front and rear ends, new wheels. 17 inch wheels were made stanadard with an 18 inch upgrade. New 6 speed auto transmission, new Generation 4 Nav, Bluetooth phone connectivity, smart key availiability.

Generally I would try and get an 02 at least just because the 01 was the first year of the model run, and they made that upgrade to fix some wind noise issues.

hi guys

thanks alot for the info. a great help.

However I think there are some slight differences between here and the us. firstly all the cars here have the 17 inch wheels apart from the new 04 which has 18inch as standard. Also they all have the keyless go.

I think I will go for a 02/03 model. One question: Is the new Gen 4 navigation much different? And is there anyway to upgrade the software in an 02/03 to the new Gen 4 version?

Much Thanks,

karl

The new nav system is exactly the same, it just looks different, Lexus just switched suppliers from NAVTECH to...something else. I actually think my 03 nav is more attractive than the gen 4 nav in my dad's 04 LS430, the new one has a bright blue/green screen while mine is a more muted natural look.

Another pro for getting an 04 is the availiable XM satellite radio which is impossible to install on any other Lexus, but I dont know if you have anything like that 'cross the pond.

You're right, I did forget about the 17 inch wheels in the UK. Even the LS400 in the UK had 17 inch wheels. The 01-03 had the keyless start? I thought that was only in Japan...

Things I have noticed that are different in my 04 LS430 vs. my 01:

Exterior:

Newer more modern looking headlights which swivel when you go around turns

More pronounced hood (bonnet) creasing, new lower more aggressive front valance and tail pipe treatments.

Color changes (even the silver color is brighter)

Optional 18 inch wheels (I have chrome 17s)

Different wheel pattern

Mechanical:

New more "Jaguaresque" steering ratio

Better suspension, less body roll in corners

6 speed transmission with considerably better performance

New "tiptronic" style gear shift replaces older "gated" style

Interior:

Rear view camera

Navigation system has more options, optional background colors, points of interest, major improvement over 2001 in my opinion

Satellite radio capability

Rear seat cooling in addition to the heating my 01 had

Smart key system

Rear seat vanity mirrors

Fewer interior wood grain options in 2004 vs 2001...but like it a lot

Glove box is re-engineered

Bluetooth cell phone ready

Lexus Assist (Similar to GM On-star)

List price increased by 2K vs 2001 (both vehicles fully optioned)

Lexus dealer told me there were over 1700 "engineering changes" in the 04

The really cool thing was...they didn't take any steps backward. Everything they did was an improvement. (Still think there should be a light that tells you when the park assist is turned off!)

On the other hand, I loved my 01 lS430 and would much rather drive it than any no AMG Mercedes.

hey

thanks again

I dont think we have the XM stereo here. I am pretty sure they all have keyless go here.

Markham:

You mentioned the rear seat cooling. I dont beleive this is availible here on the 04. I test drove one the other day and it only had rear heating.

I am looking at an 01 next week and will look out for the differences you have all mentioned.

Do you guys think it would be worth waiting for a few months to see some 04 models come on the second hand market?

Currently they 01-03 models are around the £40k ($76,500) and the most expensive (low milage etc). The cheapest 04 models are no less than £50k ($95,626). Should I wait a few months/1 year before the 04 models drop in price or should I dive in now get myself an 01-03 model?

Many Thanks,

mehul

I think it's worth it. I like the changes done on the 04, the messager for the rear seats--according to MotorWeek, and it being car and drivers best luxury choice over the BMW, Mercedes, Jag and so on. A little bias since the Infiniti Q45 wasn't mentioned in it.

UCF3:

When I said "Jaguaresque" I meant that the steering is much more precise and takes less movement to achieve the desired change in direction.

Another difference between the 04 and 01 that I forgot to mention; the 04 has tire pressure monitoring

KARLROCKS:

There is no doubt the 04 is a little more refined all around but it really comes down to how much cash you want to part with. The 01-03 should not disapoint. One way or another, make SURE that you get the LASER CRUISE CONTROL capability. It is "worth the price of admission" and is available on all 01-04 "top of the line" models. It maintains a preset distance between you and the car in front of you and after using it on my 01 LS430 for 3 years, I wouldn't buy another "cruiser" without it. Mercedes S Class has a version of this, Audi A8 and BMW 745 do not.

Have fun...

There are so many remarkable improvement on the NAV system.

1- Background color schemes can be changed to 4 different color combinations & background depending on what is pleasing to your senses.

2- The points of interest have been improved. In 2003, the NAV had about 540,000 points of interest. The new generation NAV 4 now have OVER 2 MILLION points of interest. If you want to go to nearest ATM, gas station, bank, hospital, police station, dealer, park, museum, city or federal building, auto supply store, grocery, general stores, department stores, retail stores, convenience stores, community center, ice cream parlors, pet supply stores, etc.,or your favorite restuarant. U can even chose if U want Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean. American, fast food. U can even call ahead of time to order your dish via connection with your BT enabled phone. The phone numbers to all these points of interest (POI) are all programed into this new generation NAV 4.

Look at your Yellow Pages, if it is listed in your local yellow pages, for sure it will be in your new generation NAV 4.

You can even input the name of the place you are looking for & your NAV 4 will find it for you.

3- The NAV direction/map system will let you chose which route you want: shortest, city route, or highway route, it will even let you chose if you want a scenic route.

Of course, the best choice for an LS is now the 2004 LS430. It is now the question of how much you are willing to pay and how much you can afford.

Then again most Lexus buyers are sensible and value oriented people.

That is why we did not buy the over priced BMW 745i/iL or the Mercedes Benz S series. Afterall they were all rated behind the 2004 Lexus LS430.

2- The points of interest have been improved. In 2003, the NAV had about 540,000 points of interest. The new generation NAV 4 now have OVER 2 MILLION points of interest. If you want to go to nearest ATM, gas station, bank, hospital, police station, dealer, park, museum, city or federal building, to your favorite restuarant. You can even chose if you want Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, American, fast food, etc. You can even call ahead of time to order you dish via connection with your bluetooth enabled phone. The phone numbers to all these points of interest (POI) are all programed into this new generation NAV 4.

3- The NAV direction/map system will let you chose which route you want: shortest, city route, or highway route, it will even let you chose if you want a scenic route.

Very impressive!

I'd love to be driving along and pre order my meal :lol:

The previous nav system has 4 changeable background colors also. It can also be set to change according to season.

The gen 4 actually has 5 Million POIs ;) People with 2002 nav like the gen 3 can upgrade and get the additional POIs.

One really cool feature of the gen 4 that is only availiable in LA and I think NYC is the building footprint deal where it shows the outlines of buildings.

In Japan they have a totally different nav system that blows ours away, its 3D.

• 4 months later...

additional 04 differences

have a camera when backing up option

the headlight turn as steering wheel turn option

it have an LED tail light and white color bar for the turn signal for the tail light

they r coming out next month with real time traffic info on the Nav system option