99 Rx300 Horn And Accelerator Sticking

50scadillac

My horn (s) stopped working. I found the low tone horn on the opposite side of where the battery is, but I can't find another horn. I bought a new one and replaced it, not very loud and embarrassing ! :blushing: I think I am supposed to have 2 horns, a high and low tone. Can someone direct me to where it may be under the hood?

Also when I first attempt to push the accelerator down it sometimes sticks and then the car jumps when it kicks in. Is that a grease related thing? How do I fix it? Thanks Jim (50scadillac) My 57 Caddy Limo never had that problem!! :rolleyes:

I don't know if the attached diagram is accurate but it shows the high pitched horn behind or under the driver side headlight and the low pitched horn behind the front grill.

If you want louder horns, I'd suggest a pair of Hella Supertone horns - the ones with the red grills. Give a listen:

They are widely available on the Internet. Leave your current horns in place, use the relay that comes with the Hella horns to power them from the battery or under hood fuse box and trigger them from one of the wires leading to the standard horns. Do not try to power aftermarket horns like Supertones directly from the OEM horn wires -- not enough power and the Hellas will sound wimpy. I had a pair of Supertones on my first Lexus and painted their red grills black so they couldn't be seen through the grill.

I've been wishing lately that I had a set of Supertones on my 00 LS -- might wake up people engrossed in texting while driving and keep them from wandering into my lane.

Grease and modern accelerator linkages? Sounds like you have a potentially dangerous situation there that might warrant immediate professional attention.

post-2157-0-95384800-1294608411_thumb.jp