Engine Noise

Pet67

New here but have picked up some good hints. I have a 2003 RX300 with the 300 6 banger. It has a high pitched metalic sounding noise which is most notable when first started. It seems to be coming from the front of the engine (belt area). Anyone else encounter such a symptom? So far the engine works fine but what sort of trouble am I in for, if any?

You didn't say how many miles on the RX. That definitely sounds like a bearing going. Could be the W/P, or the upper idler pulley or the lower tensioner pulley. You CAN tell which one it is with a mechanics stethoscope (would need to remove the FULL plastic cover that covers the T/B and the other rotating parts in that area. (There will be 2 covers total for that area.) My GUESS is that it's the lower tensioner pulley because that's the only bearing'd part with a single row of bearings, both of the others have a double row of bearings and are less likely to throw ALL the grease off and run dry. I have had experience with this very type of noise that goes away in a few seconds when the bearing warms a little, but the balls are bone dry. If you don't have the tools, experience or mechanics stethoscope, take it to a professional or just change the 2 idler/tensioner bearings. They can be purchased online (original equipment) for a small fraction of the dealer price. It COULD be the water pump but my guess is the other 2. I wouldn't delay repair though!

You didn't say how many miles on the RX. That definitely sounds like a bearing going. Could be the W/P, or the upper idler pulley or the lower tensioner pulley. You CAN tell which one it is with a mechanics stethoscope (would need to remove the FULL plastic cover that covers the T/B and the other rotating parts in that area. (There will be 2 covers total for that area.) My GUESS is that it's the lower tensioner pulley because that's the only bearing'd part with a single row of bearings, both of the others have a double row of bearings and are less likely to throw ALL the grease off and run dry. I have had experience with this very type of noise that goes away in a few seconds when the bearing warms a little, but the balls are bone dry. If you don't have the tools, experience or mechanics stethoscope, take it to a professional or just change the 2 idler/tensioner bearings. They can be purchased online (original equipment) for a small fraction of the dealer price. It COULD be the water pump but my guess is the other 2. I wouldn't delay repair though!

Thanks Much. You sound "spot-on". I will go as far as my experience and tools will allow. Plus it is winter here in Canada. A little chilly for the "back-yard" mechanic.