Who's got the power?

I've been looking around at turbo kits. Always loved the things but never owned a turbo vehicle. I myself was looking for a car that came turbo stock as I had played with the honda's and determined they were not worth turbo for the potential.

So I was waiting for Mitsu to release the Evo in the U.S. when I stumbled across a sweet sc300 in the area. Looked around and found aftermarket support and the close relationship with the supra and decided to buy. Now for the turbo.

I'm not a deviant when it comes to cars but there are many more that know the intricacies of tuning and performance to the T. So naturally, I found myself drowned in turbo system tech stuff. I'm still buried but ready to go. So there is this Toyomoto group and the F-max that are fairly readily available. I've also seen some other options -

buy wiz's already turboed - no, just bought my own

have seen a used kit - but hard to get a hold of the seller and I've had bad experiences with "used" parts

So dive into the savings for an F-max set-up is the line I'm taking. There is all the arguments - they can begin here. The f-max kit seems complete and it is cheaper - though I could look around more. There is only one company that sells the toyomoto kit and that's toyomoto so I figure that ends any price wars for "new" parts. I've heard toyomoto service is stellar. Decisions.

I need an exhaust manifold, intercooler, various components for turbo's - oil relocation kit, blow off valve(s), tubing, the turbo. Control items, ecu modification/ aem - looks real cool, apexi stuff, boost controller, turbo timer, and stuff. Exhaust - downpipe, and then what - custom 3" to a cat back system - hell, pull the cats while I'm down there.

How much boost to run? What kind of tuning? Here goes nothing.

I'm moving this month so I'll wait till I'm situated before I go with the turbo. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

So here is a little update. I've located a oil pan that is ready to go for turbo. Got fuel rail ready for high flow. Working on a deal for this puppy. A custom exhaust turbo header w/ dp and wastegate, powder coated for good chip off of new price. Just need the head gasket, fmic, ducting, BOV, ignition modification, fuel pump, injectors, tranny cooler, and gages. Woohoo!

I'm gonna go broke.

• 1 month later...

Polished intake manifold on the way. Supra TT brakes wait for installation. Need fuel management, intercooler, piping and turbo.

*this never did work out, but things have a funny way of coming around*

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I started this thread. A lot has happened. Things are still kind of rough but I came across something I could not let go by. It is here and beautiful. A Toyomto special. More details later. :twisted:

My Dad is in from Chicago visiting for the weekend. I let him take it out for a spin today. Aside from the wooshing and pfffffssshhhhttttting, things were quiet. Not much was said aside from three phrases out of his mouth.

1. WOOOOAAAA.

2. What is that sound?

3. This is fun!

When we got back to the house he looked over at me and said "It's been a real long time since I've been in a car *that* fast." I lifted the hood and began showing him what the answer is to #2.

I've gotta hand it to the man. He handled the car very well. I was surprised and impressed.

Damnit AWJ, reading stuff like this makes me not want to sell my car! :) I had plans to go with the toyomoto kit too...but being a college student, my funds are a little scarce, I even thought about taking out a loan for it. *sigh* i'm glad your new ride is working well for you!

:twisted: You have some options.

Finance through a second party for the Toyomoto parts. Have them install it or you can try it. Go for a rate lower than the credit card.

Get a 0% interest card for a year. Make as much payments as possible. Just before the year is up - transfer to another 0% interest card :wink:. And so on until it is paid off.

Keep the car, take care of it. And get the set-up after you graduate and make some bank.

Good luck, bud.

• 3 months later...

Ok so you are talking about all these upgrades for the sc300's and their turbos are there any performance tips you cant give me to alter my sc400.

ps. i have already upgraded to bfi intake and 2 40series flowmaster exaust mufflers.

Wow - old thread. Lots has happened since then.

Anyways - to answer your question I can give you this advice.

1. If you absolutely love your 400 and will not part with it then check out a torque converter with a stall in it at least 2500 up to whatever range you want to launch at. Precision Industries has been well spoken of by other auto Lexus guys. You have an intake, companies like weapon R make an ecu upgrade that can take advantage of modifications. You could run a shot of nitrous maybe up to 100hp or more on stock components if installed correctly with all the safegaurds. Also, the 4.7 tundra crank can be installed for a 4.3 stroker motor from your 4.0. If you go this far you can research cam regrinds - some other guys have had luck with Crane doing custom regrinds. Port and polish - milling, compression increase.... you can get creative. But now this is getting into money and still how much power for the $ will justify this work? You could do a one off turbo set-up for the 1UZ. There is a LS400 running around in the west with a tt set-up. Also, someone has a supercharger somewhere. Check out Peter Scott's site in the faq. Planet Soarer - has info. Not sure if it is commercially available.

2. Sell your SC400 and get a SC300 and go nuts on it.

Well, to be honest with you i would love to do that. Props to you driving a fast lexus that is a five speed. The problem with me is that i totaled my rodeo and was without a car, then i was bless with this awsome care that has been pampered all it's life and has been mistaken countless times for a 98 or up, of coarse these people arnt too trained because they would see the front air spoiler and realize it screamed 92, but never the less the condition is immaculate. so i have to work with what i got. i bought my mom a dig cammera for moms day so i plan to use it on my lex so i can add som pics. Well the torque sounds nice, but wouldnt i launch at 2500 every where i go, and would it help any power besides off the line?

You'll have to research the converters. A stall converter engages in a certain manner that for normal driving wouldn't be a problem depending on how it is set up. You may get some punchier shifts - so you'd want to consider that. I'm not too keen on stall converters due to my limited drag experience and no V8 experience like some others. Though I have my eyes on a track only Monte.

You can't go wrong with the SC400 - it is a great car in it's own right. Especially in good shape. Take car of it and it will take care of you for a long time. Feel free to post up some pics in the gallery and link them to the threads or attatch them. People will always mistake a good looking lexus for new. No matter what model or year. I get that all the time.

I love the - "I see who makes all the money" comments at work and stuff. I counter with - I'm just smarter than you. I bought a better car than yours and paid less and you're jealous becuase you had to have a new chevy. Sorry buddy. of course that was with the old ride - the current one is in hiding. No daily driving for this one.

Good luck and enjoy.

Man I am broke! Turbo is smooth! I am in to mine more than I thought......I am very pleased with the power. I wish I had done more research. I am happy to know things went well for you. I added the AFC and did some timing/tune up for the SRT kit and blamo...byby V8! my doodads tingle! Keep up the tuning, any add info you get let the rest of us know.....LEXO