2010 Rx 350 Has Noisy Interior Rattles

I was really counting on my lexus being super quiet. While driving, I hear lots of rattles, particularly one coming from the dash directly in front of the driver. Needless to say, it's driving me nuts. Has anybody else detected squeaks or rattles? If so, what did you do to fix them?

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

Sorry to hear about the issues...my previous rx330 had the dash rattle. Have not heard much about it on the 350's. I think you need to call the dealer. They put a few pieces of foam under my dash and it took care of it. Quiet as could be after that. It will drive you nuts too! Good luck let us know how you make out...

• 11 months later...

I was really counting on my lexus being super quiet. While driving, I hear lots of rattles, particularly one coming from the dash directly in front of the driver. Needless to say, it's driving me nuts. Has anybody else detected squeaks or rattles? If so, what did you do to fix them?

I'm new to the forum, and have been looking for a 2009 - 2011 RX 350. Yesterday I test drove a 2011 RX 350 AWD, 15,000 miles, with Luxury, Comfort, Navigation, and towing prep packages. It had a very annoying medium to high frequency rattle coming from somewhere towards the front of the car. The salesman in the passenger seat and my wife in the rear said they couldn't hear it (I believe my wife, the salesman, not so much). The salesman asked to switch seats to see if that changed anything, and it was louder in the passenger seat, seemed to be in the dash. I checked for loose objects in the glove box, console, floor, cup holders, tec., but found none. I was definitely related to the speed of the car, not the engine speed.

It was definately disconcerting for a $45K luxury car that was in other regards a super nice car. Anyone else run into RX rattles?

We have a 2011 RX and no rattles so far. If you hear rattles during the test drive, do yourself a favor and keep looking. Rattles are a pain for the service department to fix, especially the type that comes and goes or its weather related.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my 2010 RX350. Dealer tried to fix but problem persists. It is annoying sound comes driver side dashboard at low speed. Spoke to Lexus. Didn't get satisfactory response. No different than what you get from low end car dealers/manufacturers. Very disappointed as this noise is always locked in your conscience. Now they are suggesting to open the dashboard. I said no. Has been in repairs 4 times for the same problem. Don't know what to do. It sounds like 2 pieces of foam or plastic is grinding against each other, kind of cracking sound. I had 1993 LX400 for 11 years. Never had a problem. I am not happy with Lexus.

Have a 2013 RX 350, been hearing the same rattles in the interior cabin more on the front passenger side. On the first week of driving the vehicle already heard this rattling sounds. Not so happy with this high end vehicle. I shall bring back the vehicle whence I got time. Does anybody know where's the control for the rain sensing front wipers? I still have to do the controls manually during rainy days, can't find the auto rain sensing wipers. Anybody knows?

My RX 350 2013 is still with the dealer 4 days now. Just learned that the variable noise coming from the front passenger side is coming from the door, apparently some lock that has come loose causing the door to create noise was one of the Lexus diagnosis ( though it sounds like coming from the front passenger window). Again they have to apply insulation maybe to minimize the rattling noise from the inside cabin. The variable rattling noise coming from everywhere, all 4 corners of the vehicle is still a repair in progress. I feel that these noise will be there forever, so annoying for a luxury vehicle. The sensor wiper that is not auto detecting rain was diagnosed by Lexus not working as I mentioned earlier (apparently was a manufacturer' defect according to them). Of note I never knew and realized till now that my auto sensor was not working since the purchased date from brand new. The service said that there was a bubble on the sensor. Now to the most surprising news from the Lexus service dealer my RX 350 2013's windshield has to be replaced apparently from the loose wiper arms ( I don't believe it), I think they might have done something or hiding something why they have to replace a brand new car's windshield. I only reported a defective sensor, now they are going to replace the whole windshield? Any guess wild or educated will be appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Same here. Have this 2010 RX350 for the last 8 months and I had no clue than buying a Lexus would create so much STRESS!!! Furthermore their customer service is SOooooooooooooo BAD ! This car makes rattle noises for the last 5 months at least and they cannot figure out what it is. Manager heard it and said it was easy fix. But bottom line, it still has not being fixed. i was used to Toyota customer service which was excellent but honestly Lexus is the worse than I have ever experienced since the day I was able to drive. Truly sad !!!

Noise comes from the left side of dashboard. Does it always when its cold, and especially when i push on the acceleration pedal and on rougher roads. But it does not do it all the time. It can do it for 8 hours in a row or not do it at all which is why it is hard to duplicate once i arrive to dealership. It drives me totally nuts and gives me so much stress !!! I dont know what to do. All I can say is DONT BUY A LEXUS because if you get a LEMON like I did, their customer service SUCKS!!! They are just good to sell cars and hopefully for you, the car was all made in Japan. Unfortunately mine was 65% made in Canada and 35% in the USA.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Our '05 330 rattles under the dashboard. Its more so at lower speeds. its got over 160k miles on her, So far we're just dealing with it.

Our '12 350 rattles from the rear tire compartment. We going on a trip soon. I'll have my wife ride in the back to ID the source of the noise.

• 1 month later...

I also have rattles but most in the back on slightly rough roads. Given the other worse issues I've had with the dealer (and some that were not fixed), I just take out my hearing aids....

Otherwise it's a great vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2011 RX350 had a rattling sound which I thought was coming from the dash (driver's side). Like most on this thread, that sound drove me crazy. As with all my previous cars, I prefer to identify the source myself. It happens consistently when I'm on any unsmooth pavement. First I looked for any missing clips or loose items. Anything that hits against hard plastic will make an irritanting rattle. Could'nt find anything moving under the dash that I could access.

Decided to address the items in the center console. Removed all the stuff in there, drove around and rattle still there. Next was the front seat side-door pockets. That did it! Must have come from either my flashlight or tire pressure gauge. Lined the driver's door with a small cloth hand towel, put my stuff back and the rattle is completely gone. Should have gone there the first time around.

Luckily, this required minor effort.

That said, the local Lexus dealer did offer to find and eliminate the rattle. They continue to be supportive and never had the need to talk with customer service (yet). Mileage is still less than 20k so here's hoping no future rattles appear!!!

Wishing the others here good fortunes that their RX rattles go away cause we all know how these noises can be such a let-down, especially on a luxury SUV.

• 5 months later...

My 2010 RX350 AWD has rattle in rear passenger side seat assembly. Still looking for the cause. Also just noticed the retaing clips for the front facia to fender are coming loose. Have had five Lexus. 3 Sedans and two RX. The 2010 is made in Canada. That seems to cover the problems with quality. The first four were flawless. My 2010 has just turned over 35 k.

From my post last March, the rattle I thought was eliminated, actually wasn't. It re-appeared about a month later and was surfacing with regular consistency. Luckily, the warranty was still current and the dealer quickly identified it to the steering column. There is a service bulletin (LSB-0026-11) out on this. They worked on it for a day and it was ready next morning. Trouble is they forget to align the front resulting in an uncentered steering wheel.

Very courteous staff (which is loads different from the local Honda dealerships - bought myself a 2015 Fit) but would have been less hassled if they got it right the first time.

After a week of driving, both my wife and I agree that the steering feels tighter and has a more solid feel to it. Our '11 RX 350 AWD is rattlefree and once again as quiet as we're accustomed too. Current mileage is a bit over 20K. We're hoping she'll last as long as my wife's cousin's 2002 RX330. Zero issues for over a decade!!!!!

• 3 months later...

We have a 2010 RX 350. Steering column is making noise. Dealer recommends replacing steering column at our expense (over $2400)

What I amVERY disappointed about is we can't get a straight answer from Lexus. Is this expensive repair on a supposedly high end car just to fix a noise or is it a safety issue? And if it's a safety issue- then isn't this a defect that Lexus should take care of? My family has been long time Lexus owners but this will be our last- quality and customer service are on the decline I'm afraid.

..........Steering column is making noise. Dealer recommends replacing steering column at our expense (over $2400)

......amVERY disappointed .........

You could try and write a letter or call Lexus Customer Service USA. There is a service bulletin (refer to my previous post) on the steering column problem and its an identified defect (I suspect more of a jobber supplied part issue). Give this a try and post the result. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks for your quick response ROTTBOY. I've now been back and forth with Lexus USA customer (dis)service via about 10 emails. They have been useless. I've given up on having this covered financially but I've asked them point blank 3 times now if it is safe to drive with this supposedly defective steering column. The response given is beyond useless- "If you are concerned that the vehicle is unsafe then we recommend you have the car serviced at one of our authorized dealerships" . My husband has leased or owned 5 different Lexus over the past 2 decades. This was my first but definitely our last Lexus. Why pay a high price for the worst customer service ever?

.........if it is safe to drive with this supposedly defective steering column................

Aside from the rattling sound, which can get irritating, the steering column is safe to use. They must have gotten a batch of these columns from a source that did not pay attention too closely to the required tolerances. '12 and '13 models do not get these issues.

If you want this solved with no expense, its now time to write a letter to Lexus USA - Attn: President. Just google the name and send it to him directly and mention your previous loyalty to the brand by listing your previous Lexus'. State the service bulletin and explain that you bought Lexus as a quality product which they should stand behind.

Am sure you will get a response and hopefully they will see the light and cover the replacement.

BTW, I would'nt go back to the dealership you had it diagnosed at (supposedly, the dealership you bought it from new). These guys all get "goodwill" allowance from the mfg. to cover loyal customers. They should have applied those funds in your case.

Good luck and don't give up yet. The steering has been my one and only mechanical issue on our RX and we continue to enjoy driving this super-dependable vehicle. Try owning a BMW X5, Mercedes ML, Range Rover, Porsche, etc..... - there's a reason why owners of these makes get rid of them after warranty is over. That's when all the expensive headaches come. I should know cause I've owned them all - never again!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Persistence has paid off and my confidence in Lexus has been restored! National HQ offered a very fair compromise and my RX350 was repaired yesterday. What an improvement with the replaced steering! Just in time for the next east coast snow storm. Thanks to all.

Persistence has paid off and my confidence in Lexus has been restored!.....RX350 was repaired yesterday..........................

Congrats on the repair. Like in any big organization, sometime it just takes talking to the right party. Unfortunately for us retail buyers, some dealers do not regard our better interest as a priority.

Am glad that this forum has contributed to solving your issue. Now its time to enjoy the drive with utmost satisfaction!!!! :cheers:

• 2 months later...

Hi J and welcome.

We are very glad Lexus redeemed them selves by settling your issue.

The thing about this group is to remember that often it's the problem or Lexus seeming to care less that brings the member to post a infuriating problem. Because of that, we may hear mostly repair issues on many models. Last month, Consumer Reports chose Lexus number 1 in reliability and both Mercedes and BMW were way down the list.

It would be helpful if you would have the time to explain how you and Lexus solved you problem.

Paul

........................It would be helpful if you would have the time to explain how you and Lexus solved you problem..........

After reading the suggested course of action as I posted earlier on this thread - Here's a timeline of PM's that went between Jpmd and myself:

Jpmd sent 1/7/15 - You've been a million times more helpful than Lexus Customer service! Thanks so much for the info and advice. Jpmd7

Rottboy sent 1/8/15 - Hope you try my suggestion.

REmember that mfg', nowadays, usually sub-contract Customer Service functions to other entities (they're mostly located overseas in India, Philippines etc......)

These people are not directly employed by Lexus therefore give out "standard" prepared replies to various queries.

The preferred action would be what I suggested. In fact, your letter should be sent either "REGISTERED" or with tracking and Signature.

Glad that I could assist, but don't give up on Lexus totally because of the sub-par phone results with CS. Lexus makes a good product. At least better than most high-end Europeans.

Will be awaiting the result. Good luck!!!!

Jpmd7 reply sent 2/1/15 - Thanks again for your advice. National HQ covered the cost of the steering column on my RX350 and I paid labor. It's like having my new car back.

Its no wonder why Lexus remains a premier marque in the yearly JD Power Customer Satisfaction rankings! We love our RX350. When I win the lotto, it will be time to find a nicely used LFA!!!!!!!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get Lexus to cover the cost of parts ( I paid labor). I'm not sure exactly which action helped since I voiced complaints on several consumer websites and sent a certified letter to Lexus HQ in California. (I received a phone call from HQ just 2 days after mailing the letter so not sure if letter had even arrived there yet.) After just 2 phone conversation, the agreement was made as above. Within days I had my RX 350 in the nearest dealer and repaired with excellent results.