To Buy Or Not?

Hello all! I'm rather new to the board, been lurking somewhat, but I've come across a Lexus for sale that I've wanted for a while. It's a '95 GS300 with 248K on the odometer. The seller is asking $2895 and I am in need of a new vehicle, so I figured why not get what I want? NADA placed it at $4500 - $4900 so I am thinking maybe it's a good deal? But, I am wary since the mileage is so high. I am hopeful though for the Lexus bullet proof reliability, but any thoughts? Is this something I should go for or hang back and wait? I saw on MSN reliability ratings, for the '95 Lex and up are infrequent or no problems at all compared to my '98 Buick LeSabre with 186K and it needs at least $2400 in repairs and soon to be repairs. :/ Thoughts, comments, what have you is appreciated. And a btw, I know the Buick repairs are expensive, but I know I know it's just going to turn into a money pit. Nobody wants a big boat Buick that's slowly dying, so I know I can't make back what I put into it if I sell it. The Lexus, I'd gladly do any and everything for it.

Hello all! I'm rather new to the board, been lurking somewhat, but I've come across a Lexus for sale that I've wanted for a while. It's a '95 GS300 with 248K on the odometer. The seller is asking $2895 and I am in need of a new vehicle, so I figured why not get what I want? NADA placed it at $4500 - $4900 so I am thinking maybe it's a good deal? But, I am wary since the mileage is so high. I am hopeful though for the Lexus bullet proof reliability, but any thoughts? Is this something I should go for or hang back and wait? I saw on MSN reliability ratings, for the '95 Lex and up are infrequent or no problems at all compared to my '98 Buick LeSabre with 186K and it needs at least $2400 in repairs and soon to be repairs. :/ Thoughts, comments, what have you is appreciated. And a btw, I know the Buick repairs are expensive, but I know I know it's just going to turn into a money pit. Nobody wants a big boat Buick that's slowly dying, so I know I can't make back what I put into it if I sell it. The Lexus, I'd gladly do any and everything for it.

That is a LOT of miles...I would pass on it for the price unless you have complete service records. Even then that price seems high to me on a 95 with 248k on it. Any car with that many miles on it will end up having some repairs needed...

Good luck...and welcome to LOC! :cheers:

Thanks for the advice. I also came across a few more examples on Craigslist, the first was from Autotrader:

'95 GS300, 160K miles, seller asking $2500 (I have had this car garaged packed for 4 years(work overseas), drove it few times this year good motor, A/C blow cold, leather interior, new tires. Just needs painting job ready to drive.) Parenthesis are what the seller stated in the ad.

'94 GS300 200K, asking $1700, (looks good runs good. clean inside out) Parenthesis are what the seller stated in the ad.

And '94 GS300, $2600, mileage unlisted, seller says, Car runs and drives good. I bought this car as a project car and has been sitting in my garage for almost a year. I was going to put a supra turbo engine on it, but i am getting rid of my project cars this year. The car has brand new 2010 is 250 wheels and lug nuts. Will need inner tie rods though, since it does have slight play on the front wheels.

I have about enough to fully pay for or make a good offer on any of these, just seeing from Lexus owners and maybe older first-gen GS owners, if they sound like it could be worth it, considering what you have and such.

I just don't want another money pit like my Buick; although that was from a buy here pay here place and I NEEDED a car, my first. NEVER AGAIN. And the reason I'm looking at these also is because I don't want to make payments; I own my car and it feels nice not having to worry about payments in these tough times and such. Also, I hope I'm not coming across as like I am DESPERATE to get into a Lexus or something, that's not the case. I am just in need of a vehicle and if I can get a car I really want, (GS), I'm all for it. If not, I can go to a stand-by like a Camry or an Accord; reliable and all. But I REALLY don't want to if possible, hehe.

Any advice is welcome.