1999 Rx300 Problems

jackbawden

I have a 1999 Rx300 with about 203,000 kms on it. Overall it is a vehicle we like. Lately it started to do some weird things. When driving along it suddenly loses power completely for 1 to 3 seconds, and then goes again. Often it idles roughly or kind of irregularly. Also sometimes it doesn't want to shift up to the next gear when it should. The service engine soon light has come on. We took it to a Toyota dealer and they checked the code (I think it was 1506, but I can't find it right now) but didn't seem to know what to do to fix or even diagnose the problem.

If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the service light goes out, and the car seems to run quite well ( nofaltering etc.). After 20 to 40 minutes of driving the light comes on again and the faltering begins. The weird thing is that it runs just fine some of the time, and then has these problems. We tried a fuel additive/cleaner, but it is still happening.

Does anyone have similar experiences, or have any idea what the problem is and how to fix it? Thanks very much for any help you can give me.

Go to an autozone and get the codes....I suspect the idle air control valve needs cleaning but we really need the correct code that you had.