System Diagnostic Codes

dakrri

No. To get the codes requires an OBDII reader that plugs into a port under the dash. A Pep Boys will read the codes for free I've been told. Short of that, it'll need a trip to a garage and a technician to read them. They'll give an idea to the technician as to where to start looking for a fix.

The most common fault that sets off the check engine light is an improperly closed gas cap. Did you check it?

Is there a way I can check for engine codes/system diagnostic on my cars inside led display? My check engine light came on.

2003 ES300

Thanks

Dakrri

Exactly what "gbhrps" said. Check the cap first. In the midwest, Autozone will also read your codes for no charges.

Paul

The CEL was out in this morning and then after about 10 miles of driving it came back on. So I got the code read P2238? Any ideas? They said it was an AF sensor...or maybe a 02 sensor. Never heard of a AF sensor.

Thanks

Dakrri

I found out what P0031 code is. Can someone please tell me where the 02 Sensor is located on a 2003 ES 300??? Bank 1 Sensor 1

Thanks

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

P0031 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

OBD-II Trouble Code Technical DescriptionOxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

This O2 sensor #1 may also be refered to as an air/fuel ratio sensor since on some vehicles it is. It detects the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas compared to the outside air and then vehicle's computer adjusts the air/fuel ratio going into the engine. The sensor is less effective when the exhaust gas temperature is low, so it includes a heater which is activated to help get better readings from the A/F O2 sensor. Essentially this P0031 code means that the resistance of the heater circuit is lower than normal. In most cases, that resistance level must fall below 0.8 A to trigger the DTC code.

You got it right. Heater circuits were added in the mid '90s, to make the old one's obsolete, but also in the service of making the new ones work "better" possibly in terms of engine management, and definitely in terms of jacking to cost up.

I believe bank one is on the firewall side of the engine. Some debate about this, so get an additional opinion, preferrably from the lexus or toyoto mech when you go in and see how much it's gonna cost you to get them to do it. If it is on the back, it's not an easy one to get to from above, not sure from below, as I've only removed it after taking the intake off. If bank one is toward the front of the car, then it's quite easy to take off, as long as you have the right 02 sensor wrench or a large open or closed end wrench that fits.

If you're handy with a soldering iron/gun, then a universal 4 lead 02 sensor can be had on ebay for $30-50, and if not, one with the proper connector can be had in the $80 range. Of course, going to a yanker yard would give you the anatomy lesson you need and you might get a good one for only $5

LL