If You Had To Decide, What Would You Choose?

denslexusgx470

Alright, hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a good new year!

Unfortunately on my way home today from out of town, a rock chipped my windshield on my GX. I went straight to the Lexus dealership once I rolled into town and surprisingly enough it would cost a heart and kidney to replace the windshield... A whomping $1650 :chairshot: The aftermarket windshield only costs $260 and both prices include labor AND weatherstrips. The catch? Aside from an aftermarket glass, the rubber strips are also aftermarket and the dealership claims that the rain sensors for the wipers will not hold on properly on the aftermarket one and sometimes doesn't function on the aftermarket windshields. It looks like the only option is to either repair the windshield or crank out $1650.

The chip is decently small, but it's bothersome since it's located on the driver's side of the windshield. I'm going to try and have it repaired for now (with the injection) but I'll see if it's worth $1650 to replace it.

While waiting in the service drive though my dad had done some thinking. If the replacement is $1650 and we're still paying monthly on this car, then why not just add another $1500 on top of that to reach about $3000 and just lease a new one? What do you guys think? Better idea than replacing the windshield? We're not upside down on the mortgage so actually we might not have to crank out any money for a down payment.. Any thoughts? (given that the new car's monthly lease payments will be roughly around the current mortgage payments of my GX)

Glass companies ma be able to repair it and you will never know it was there.

What is your comp deductible? Many companies will waive to get it repaired...if it can't be repaired why not use your insurance? If it couldn't be fixed I would filetheclaim assuming you aren't caring a $1000.00 deductible on glass...if you are this is why it is a bad idea

Good Luck,

deductible is already $1000. i hate having to file anything with insurance. i feel that they'll have all the reason to sky rocket my premium. I'm having it injected today so we'll see how much it'll improve it's appearance on my windshield :geek:

deductible is already $1000. i hate having to file anything with insurance. i feel that they'll have all the reason to sky rocket my premium. I'm having it injected today so we'll see how much it'll improve it's appearance on my windshield :geek:

Dens if the windshield can be repaired...most companies will waive the deduct. you would need to call your agent to check but then you wouldn't have to pay a penny. It would be unlikely that a small comp claim would affect your rates AT ALL. I can't tell you for sure because it is company and state specific but highly doubtful that it would impact your rates since you are an existing policyholder. New business may be different if you switch carriers...but comp losses are used more for discount levels and not for surcharges like a at fault accident.

By the way the injections are great...you will have to look hard to even know it was there. May look like a gnat hit your windshield... :lol:

By the way check with your agent regarding your comp ded. See what it would cost to have a 50? Bet it isn't that much. Just a thought...

Well I'll be extremely happy if they can blemish that little :censored: so that I won't easily notice it. I notice the smallest scratches that nobody else can see :whistles: . I remember after my 2nd accident I complained that I found a new scratch that I positively knew wasn't there before I dropped the car off. The body shop guy told me to stand behind my car and tell him if I could name all the scratches on my car. So I did start naming all the scratches, including approximate distance from landmarks (like saying there's a small scratch about 2 inches south of the door handle, etc) and even the dimple dents on my car. The body shop guy was stunned :wacko::wacko: He probably thought I was a real idiot that I know all the damages on my cars lol. :whistles:

So we'll see what the glass guy can do for me today. :ph34r:

How'd it turn out?

I actually didn't have time yesterday to have it done. My dad's meeting the glass guy that Fresno Lexus recommended to me this morning so I'll find out later today how it'll turn out. I'll be fine if they just blemish it so that it will make you look harder before you notice it. I don't have high hopes that it will look better because a previous car we used to own had a rock chip that was this size also but it never went away even after I had it repaired with the injection thing. :cries: