Leaky 06 Rx400H

Regarding my 2006 RX400h...56K miles, I live in Los Angeles. Here in L.A. we've had a lot more rain than usual but I was shocked to see that water was getting into my cargo area. Wet on the small side rear window, and I ended up with soaked towels from water getting in through the privacy screen track and the door to the rear lights...the door that you would need to pop f changing light bulbs. It was enough to soak about five face towels. It's making me mad....I have been traveling so I haven't taken the car to Lexus yet but just wondering if anyone has had water leaking in their RX400h.

Rey,

Our house is now over 16 years old and up until last week, has never had a roof leak. The rain we (and you) experienced recently was the most your area of the state has had since 1954. My guess is that we won't likely have anything that severe again in our lifetime, so while I will have our roof leak inspected and patched, I think that chances are if I were to do nothing about it, I'd never see that leak again.

For those who didn't hear or read about the rain storms we've had - 6 days of almost nonstop rain really shocked everyone in this area. Many of those who live in older/low-lying areas had serious flooding problems. I felt like I was in Seattle :)

Dave

rx rey, i know how well you care for your 400h, and while it might not leak again, obviously the traction battery pack is back there and water travels. five towels is not a small amount of water in that area, i am sure more leaked than you can see. not trying to be alarmist but for the battery reason, to avoid odor problems which are hell to get rid of if they are allowed to start in a vehicle, and to prevent it from happening again, i would have it checked out. remember the guy in texas who lost his traction battery when the rear seals leaked in the hatch door. fortunately they had been worked on by the dealer and installed wrong so he was covered.

Sunroof drain tube plugged? (I think there are two in the front, two in the rear). This is a common problem on lots of vehicles.

Where are those drain tubes exactly? Thanks for all of the input. Rey

They usually terminate in the wheel wells, although sometimes depending on vehicle make, the fronts can terminate in the channel below the front windshield. They tend to plug up either with debris from the sunroof drain channels (leaves etc), or from crap flying up into the wheel well plugging the end of the drain. I don't know for sure where they terminate in the RX (I can check my shop manual when I get home).

I am taking my car into my Lexus dealership tomorrow (1-6-2011)....they are great at anything that I have concerns about. It's not supposed to rain here in LA for a few days so hopefully they can find the problem. They always wash my car before I get it back, perhaps they should start with the wash! Thanks for all of the posts. Rey

• 1 month later...

i have a an 05 rx 330. recently my wife noticed the front floor board and backseat floor board on the passenger side were soaked. i felt on the floor boards and found the front passenger floor board to be wet next to kick plate. we had a lot of rain recently and I'm wondering if the sun roof drains near the front wheel well?

i don't have a manual, yet. so where are the sun roof drains located. any help is appreciated.

Rey? Rey? Was this ever resolved?

[/quote

Yes actually...It was the fact that I had taken the roof rack off years ago....one of the screw holes was letting water in...so I plugged the hole with silicone glue. They checked the drains in the sunroof, nothing...oh and also, the water coming up into the passenger floor board was from the drain plug...so I duct taped it(underneath)...nothing like having a luxury car with duct tape! Hope all of this helps others. Rey