New Tires/valve Stem Question

My neighbor just called me and asked about new tires for her 2009 RX350. She's getting new tires installed this week at BJ's and wanted to know about valve stems since they are included in the installation package.

Since her Lexus has metal valve stems I assume that they are used instead of standard rubber stems. Do you guys get new Lexus valve stems when getting new tires or do just keep the original ones?

Thanks

I recently got new tires and they don't replace the permanent TPMS sensors (integrated with the metal valve stem), but they charged me ($3 each) for some kind of service kit for the TPMS sensors. I'm not sure exactly what was part of the kit but it's specific to each type of vehicle with TPMS.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got new tires and they don't replace the permanent TPMS sensors (integrated with the metal valve stem), but they charged me ($3 each) for some kind of service kit for the TPMS sensors. I'm not sure exactly what was part of the kit but it's specific to each type of vehicle with TPMS.

This was my experience as well when I replaced 4 tires a few months ago. Anybody know what the TPMS 'sensor kit' is or does?

$3 seems inexpensive. Places here charge up to $10 'extra' for TMPS when changing tires. I believe (but am not sure) that they change the battery.

They also charged me $20 ($5 per tire) to "reset the TPMS system" which I thought was bogus. I don't think anything was actually done to reset anything. I've rotated the tires and didn't have to reset the sensors with the button under the dash. I only used that button to learn the new pressure when inflating them higher than the standard pressure.