Many Drivers Using Wrong Gas

• 3 months later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many dealerships advise people to use regular unlead when purchasing a new car strictly as a selling point when in fact many cars call for premium fuel! When i got 2011 rx 350 the salesman told me to use regular unlead. I thought engine was noisy or i was crazy but went online to see many with same complaint. Investigated my owners manual to find that premium fuel (octane 91 or higher) is strongly recommended and regular unlead (octane 87)will cause knocking noise and engine damage!

My daughter drives an 2008 mazda 3 and manual clearly states that premium fuel is recommended. Switched to premium and car runs smoother...big difference!

everything has a price.

My 2005 RX 330 recommended premium but said regular could be used if the owner desired. After a few years I switched to regular and had no problems by the time I had reached 85K miles and traded it in for a 2013 RX 350. Regular is the recommended fuel for the 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always wanted to say this and be able to really mean it.......this is not rocket science!!

This topic has been the root of many robust discussions over the years. And I do mean years. No one will ever convince the other of their belief, but people do learn a great deal about fuels, combustion, power transfer from octane and so on. My caution, if you wish to maintain your warranty, is to simply follow your owners manual.

p.s. The guidlines of the LOC specify discussions that are without derogatory language, ethnic slurs, inflamatory language or profanity. Please read the guidlines if you have questions.

Paul

• 3 years later...

The octane level you need is strictly related to how the car runs without roughness or pinging. Octane rating relates to fuel burn speed, not power. Higher compression engines need high octane to run smooth. That is why airplanes require higher octane fuel as they use very high compression engines and why avation fuel is so expensive. Use the lowest octane that will allow your engine to run smooth or follow the manufactures required, not recommended rating for a start. If you are using a higher octane rating than you need you are literally blowing money out your tailpipe. 

Additionally the content of gasoline is State and Federally regulated and they all contain additives. To save money use the cheapest gas of the proper octane from a reliable source. Avoid stations that have a history of water in the gas or do not keep clean tanks. Never fill up while the station is filling up. When the station is filling up the process stirs up station tank sediment that can land up in your tank and your gas filter. Fillup when the air temperature is cold. You get more gas, by weight per gallon. Going to a station that has filters on its hoses is a real good thing to do. When push comes to shove name brands are not any better than off brands. Most often they come from the same source. Remember that thing about State and Federal regulation of content? Differences between brands is mostly marketing hype and you are paying for it. However if you are convinced that one brand is better than the other, go for it and I will be laughing all the way to the bank to deposit my savings.