Many Drivers Using Wrong Gas

Many dealerships advise people to use regular unlead when purchasing a new car strictly as a selling point when in fact many cars call for premium fuel! When i got 2011 rx 350 the salesman told me to use regular unlead. I thought engine was noisy or i was crazy but went online to see many with same complaint. Investigated my owners manual to find that premium fuel (octane 91 or higher) is strongly recommended and regular unlead (octane 87)will cause knocking noise and engine damage!

My daughter drives an 2008 mazda 3 and manual clearly states that premium fuel is recommended. Switched to premium and car runs smoother...big difference!

everything has a price.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many dealerships advise people to use regular unlead when purchasing a new car strictly as a selling point when in fact many cars call for premium fuel! When i got 2011 rx 350 the salesman told me to use regular unlead. I thought engine was noisy or i was crazy but went online to see many with same complaint. Investigated my owners manual to find that premium fuel (octane 91 or higher) is strongly recommended and regular unlead (octane 87)will cause knocking noise and engine damage!

My daughter drives an 2008 mazda 3 and manual clearly states that premium fuel is recommended. Switched to premium and car runs smoother...big difference!

everything has a price.

Just wondering did you ever look at the gas cap or the recommendation on the gas door? :blushing:

Quite a few car salesman will tell you anything to make a sale but I have had most tell me to use premium in my cars...

everything has a price.

Just wondering did you ever look at the gas cap or the recommendation on the gas door? :blushing:

Quite a few car salesman will tell you anything to make a sale but I have had most tell me to use premium in my cars...

I live in new jersey and we don't pump our own gas which is only excuse i have as to not having looked at gas cap....good point though

That is a good excuse... :cheers: I still don't understand why you can't pump your own gas in NJ? :blink:

By the way welcome to LOC! :cheers:

I live in new jersey and we don't pump our own gas which is only excuse i have as to not having looked at gas cap....good point though

That is a good excuse... :cheers: I still don't understand why you can't pump your own gas in NJ? :blink:

In Oregon it is against the law to pump your own gas.

It is great not to have to pump your own gas and our prices are a lot better than other states. They will give you the kind of gas you request. The older RXs could take regular but I was told by service that premium is best for this particular car--not even the middle grade.

everything has a price.

Hi Lexir,

This may apply only to the 2010 ES, but during early fall, a bulletin was sent out announcing the OK to use 87 octane in the 2010 ES, over riding the owners manual material. Steve W covered it extensively on the forum and since then I haven't heard a word from any member or Lexus regarding the program or it's success or lack there of.

In Iowa we have 89 octane with a blend of 10% ethanol, in addition to 87 and 91 octane. The ethanol blend is subsidized by the state and is always 10 cents cheaper than any other gas. The 89 works very well and I love it. I have used it for years with no problems at all. 29 mpg.

The vehicle will run fine on regular fuel....that's the recommendation on several other Toyota vehicles with the same engine. The electronic's will adjust for lower quality fuel you just lose a little performance. The Lexus is rated at 5HP more than the 4 Runner with the identical engine likely get the 5 HP by running more ignition advance that's possible because of the higher octane. I have run both premium and regular in my Lexus and can't tell the difference except for the cost of the fuel. I only use non Ethanol so don't know if that makes some difference.

The vehicle will run fine on regular fuel....that's the recommendation on several other Toyota vehicles with the same engine. The electronic's will adjust for lower quality fuel you just lose a little performance. The Lexus is rated at 5HP more than the 4 Runner with the identical engine likely get the 5 HP by running more ignition advance that's possible because of the higher octane. I have run both premium and regular in my Lexus and can't tell the difference except for the cost of the fuel. I only use non Ethanol so don't know if that makes some difference.

Appreciate the info, makes sense. As for an ethanol blend, when your in the largest corn/ethanol producing state in the country, there is a lot of the stuff to go around. As you know, there has and always will be, a debate over the benefits or lack there of when using ethanol in any passenger car type engine. Here, some people report a loss of one to two mpg over a non blend. That has not been my experience. Give it a try some time. (The state desperately needs the revenue. LOL)

Thanks again,

Paul

Exactly. The premium fuel "requirement," which is refuted elsewhere in the owner's manual, is nothing but a marketing ploy to ensure the high priced Lexus makes more horsepower than the lower priced Toyota pedestrian trash.

Run 87 all day, all year, and all decade. Your wallet will thank you.

• 1 month later...

everything has a price.

No, since the advent of EFI, wide band knock/ping sensors, and monitoring of crank position, the A/F mixture can be slightly enriched if the fuel octane used requires it.

Since about 2000 most "high" compression engines (10:1 EFI, 12:1 DFI) REQUIRE premium ONLY for full, best(?) performance.

• 3 months later...

Unless the vehicle is equipped with a turbo, the benefit of Premium versus regular isn't really worth it. Here it would cost me ~$14 more to fill up the whole tank with Premium, not worth it!. As with anything else in life, if it makes you feel better, just do it! ;)

Have a new 2011 RX350 with 5000 km. On a 5 hour highway trip, checked fuel ecconomy one way with 91 octane and return trip with 89. I used .6 litres more per 100 km with mid grade so, on a cost basis, no advantage - 91 octane is about $.06 more per litre than 89. Will check again on next road trip using 87 octane but seems like using high test does not cost any more per km (or mile) driven. One interesting thing is there is one gas station that sells a 94 octane. Sticker on inside of fuel lid says premium grade rather than specify an octane rating. I'll try a tank of that on a future trip.

"premium fuel (octane 91 or higher) is strongly recommended" No where does it say "MANDATORY" . My cousin a real Dealer told me 87 is fine.

I can "strongly recommend" you need a hair cut, but do you really?

I have been running my 450H on 87 for 8 months now. All is unremarkable!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using 87 octane in my 2010 RX450H for 6 months now. I have 11,000 miles on it. Not one noise or complaint to share. It rides fine. At the end of the day Lexus is nothing but a Toyota! Don't be silly or think you are in a Mercedes Benz. Its a Toyota with better marketing. LOL!

• 2 months later...

I fill up with 90 octane non ethonal gas which I can get in the Florida Keys and in Florida City. I get 10 more miles to the gallon on the hyway. Ethonal 10% fuel is crap. I had outboard engine repair problems (hoses) and was told by my marine mechanic not to use it. I've been putting it in my boat and have no more problems. I put it in my 2009 RX350, what a pleasant surprise. Try it if you live near the coast or at a marina

I've been using 87 octane in my 2010 RX450H for 6 months now. I have 11,000 miles on it. Not one noise or complaint to share. It rides fine. At the end of the day Lexus is nothing but a Toyota! Don't be silly or think you are in a Mercedes Benz. Its a Toyota with better marketing. LOL!

Gee Blue Surf, based upon the revelation you bestowed upon us, it would seem your the biggest sucker of all! Knowing what you know about the crap state of Lexus vehicles you must have had a sudden lapse in judgment when you purchased your RX Luxury vehicle knowing all along it is "Just a Toyota."

It makes one wonder why then Lexus is the number one selling luxury brand in North America,(the ES out sells the MB C series all day long)and the September released J.D. Power results put Lexus as the number one build quality luxury car, and the first year reliability leader. BMW is way down the list.

If you don't like your Lexus, sell it and buy a less reliable Mercedes.

To verify these facts do a search of the forum.

I know when I need a haircut. I read recommendations in owners manual and reach my own conclusion.

I hold stock in oil companies; we stockholders thank you for reaching an erroneous conclusion. :cheers:

I own stock in oil companies too, my conclusions about my vehicle are better than oil company's. Also I have no major spills to my credit. :cheers: