Oem Tires

Was surprised to learn that Lexus factory tires are likely to develop problems in the 20k - 25k range particularly if most of the driving is city traffic.

I have an 07 GS350 with only 24k and the ride was very mushy after they did the engine factory recall. When I took it back to the dealer, they said it was the tires. Same tires as before the engine work per recall so I went to the tire dealer and asked for wheel balancing and, sure enough, their recommendation was also replace the tires. There was plenty of tread left even to my unsophiscated eye but, the tire dealer insisted they were at fault for what I was experiencing. Bought new tires and the ride improved to better than that previously.

The dealer said that manufacturers supply marginal tires with new cars to save money.

Just sharing experience.

Was surprised to learn that Lexus factory tires are likely to develop problems in the 20k - 25k range particularly if most of the driving is city traffic.

I have an 07 GS350 with only 24k and the ride was very mushy after they did the engine factory recall. When I took it back to the dealer, they said it was the tires. Same tires as before the engine work per recall so I went to the tire dealer and asked for wheel balancing and, sure enough, their recommendation was also replace the tires. There was plenty of tread left even to my unsophiscated eye but, the tire dealer insisted they were at fault for what I was experiencing. Bought new tires and the ride improved to better than that previously.

The dealer said that manufacturers supply marginal tires with new cars to save money.

Just sharing experience.

Hi David,

Some clarification....Did you buy this car new, and it now has 24k on it? In other words, why were the tires not replaced under warranty? Or, did you buy it Certified Pre Owned, Or just buy it used. Just trying to understand why you were on the hook for bad tires.

No, Lexus tires usually do not wear out at such short intervals. You should expect an original OEM to last according to the tire manufacturers specs.

Paul

Just sharing experience.

About a year ago, my Lexus service rep. commented that GS's do in fact wear down tires more than usual...don't really know why either. Just replaced my OEM tires with a new set at approximately 36000 miles.