Help - Rear Brake Caliper Slide Pin Seized

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting in the right place - I need some advice/guidance. My 2006 IS250 AWD needed new rear brake pads, I bought the stock pads and replaced the driver side with no issues. When I got to the passenger side, I found that the lower slide pin (the one that's kinda built into the caliper and doesn't have an obvious way to be removed) seems to be seized, preventing me from installing the thicker outer brake pad. Has anyone else come across this issue, and if so, what did you do to get that slide pin moving again? I'm not looking for an answer like "go buy a new caliper"...although if that pin is not serviceable, I understand that may be the only solution. I do know there was a TSB/recall for the driver side rear caliper, which was replaced. Should the other side have been replaced under recall as well? Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the slide pin in the brakes was on the TSB that came out about 2 years ago, along with the fuel line fittings. You may still be eligible for the TSB. But if the TSB doesn't apply, and you need to free up that slide pin then my friend, you just need to get in there and figure out how and why it's stuck and figure out a way to get it free. I haven't used a porch before, but I have used a small propane torch and a screw driver before to try and pop it free. Also try soaking it in some brake cleaner as well. (Make sure you dry the parts real good before you hit it with the torch then!) LOL!!!

I'm going to contact a friend at a Lexus dealer sometime this week and will let you guys know how it works out, thanks for the advice. I've used the torch/hammer approach on a Camaro's caliper before, so I'm no stranger to that...worst case, that's prolly what I'll wind up doing, I just want to have an extra slide pin/boot on hand before I try it, the car after all is my wife's daily driver :-)

We got the TSB done last summer, so it hasn't been even a year since that work was done. I think they might have flaked out and not bothered to check the passenger side caliper pins, I moved the rubber boot and saw visible rust on the pin...