Chrome Rim Problems

dobloon

We have a 2007 IS250 that we purchased used. It came with Lexus chrome rims. Low tire pressure warning has come on several times. Dealership claims it is due to corrosion on chrome rims and that there is nothing they can do to fix. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, were you able to resolve? Rims look really great, but this problem is causing us to think about replacing them.

It's a very common problem. I don't see chrome wheels in the option list for the U.S. spec 07 IS so maybe yours were aftermarket dealer options. And I don't see your location -- have these wheels been used in winter and road salt? Salt is death to chrome wheels.

The original lessee of my 00 LS used the original chrome rims through three winters and the chrome was thoroughly trashed. The chrome wheels were replaced under warranty in 2003 and the replacements still look perfect after seven years of Spring/Summer/Fall use.

Wheels can be re-chromed. My next door neighbor had his Lexus wheels re-chromed through a local specialty wheel shop but of course doing that requires having a second set of wheels.

We have a 2007 IS250 that we purchased used. It came with Lexus chrome rims. Low tire pressure warning has come on several times. Dealership claims it is due to corrosion on chrome rims and that there is nothing they can do to fix. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, were you able to resolve? Rims look really great, but this problem is causing us to think about replacing them.

I have had Lexus chrome rims for three winter/summer cycles on my former 05' ES and through copious amounts of salt and calcium chloride. I had almost no corrosion except for a few pencil eraser sized spots on the outside that were only cosmetic. I may just have been fortunate.

Where is the corrosion? Is it on the bead around the rim? Is it inside the rim say around the valve core base?..etc

As Jim said if you can find a plating shop it is a lot cheaper to re-plate than to buy new, because a new chrome Lexus set will start at $500. a wheel plus install, balance, etc. But I would press the dealer to show you specifically where and what corrosion is causing the problem before spending $2500. on new rims just to have the same problem return.

Paul

It's a very common problem. I don't see chrome wheels in the option list for the U.S. spec 07 IS so maybe yours were aftermarket dealer options. And I don't see your location -- have these wheels been used in winter and road salt? Salt is death to chrome wheels.

The original lessee of my 00 LS used the original chrome rims through three winters and the chrome was thoroughly trashed. The chrome wheels were replaced under warranty in 2003 and the replacements still look perfect after seven years of Spring/Summer/Fall use.

Wheels can be re-chromed. My next door neighbor had his Lexus wheels re-chromed through a local specialty wheel shop but of course doing that requires having a second set of wheels.

Thanks to both of you for the quick response posts. We live just outside of Sacramento, CA and have had the vehicle since May 2009. The rims are aftermarket and were purchased via the Internet from a Lexus dealership in MA - according to the previous owner. He also said he did not have this problem. We have not had this vehicle up to the mountains where there might be salt on the roads. The dealership did say that since we purchased replacement tires from Costco, that Costco may have applied a sealer that caused the corrosion - of course Costco denies this.

I think we will go with your suggestion to have the dealership pin-point the problem area and then see if we can have the rim replated. It appears to be only one of the front rims.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Happy New Year!!!

I had a similar problem with chrome wheels on my 1998 LS400, which my Toyota/Lexus specialty repair shop solved by remounting tires and applying some sort of sealer during mounting process. Had the problem continued, I would have sought out a replater and had the wheels replated had I been able to get through the logistic issues of how to drive while replating was being done. ??? Fortunately, I never had to address this problem, as tires held pressure between service intervals and I recently bought a 2005 LS430 without chrome wheels and sold the 1998 LS400, which was in pristine condition for it's mileage - 159,000.

Good luck with the solutions offered and in working with your dealer!