1990 Ls400 Transmission

1990LS400PA

Im new to this forum but have found it very helpful. To the point: 90 Lexus LS 400 224,000 miles. Having problem with the transmission (im assuming). Anytime I touch the brake it feels like im getting rear ended. Also sometimes when Im driving - the car will be stuck in a certain gear. I have to exit the freeway several times because of this. Most of the time it gets stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. Would appreciate any help - I have dropped a lot of money into this ride already and Im real frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed this post earlier

I have the same problem but the problem only occurs at night time , when driving with the lights on. If I come to a complete stop and then begin to go again , I need to shut the lights off for the car to shift into third gear , once the car shifts it will continue to shift perfectly fine until I come to another complete stop. I then begin to drive shut the lights off and then turn the lights back on and its working perfectly fine. I do not know how the lights would have anything to do with the shifting of my transmission but any input or advice about this issue would be excellent.

Thank you

Sounds like you are experiencing the trunk wire harness syndrom, There is a wire harness (I beleive it is in the drivers side hinge) The insulation on some of the wires wear off and create a short that causes all kinds of different electronic issues. Do a search for the trunk harness.

Welcome to the club cheers.gif

Before you go with all that, check the battery. If that is older than 3 years, go get a new monster for your LS. I recommend an Optima Red Top from Costco for $140 but anything with good CCA's (850+) would work. Not sure why but early ls's (mine is also a 90) suck juice big time. A battery can look good, test good and still not have enough for your car. If all this is cool, then the trunk wires broken would be my next move. I have fixed mine twice and both times the "R" light came on and the transmission wouldn't shift. Hope this helps a little.