99 Tie Rod Part Number

Micah.Berry

Not quite sure how to search for "tie rod" as both words are less than the 4 minimum. So, I'll hazard a quick question:

I'm trying to order a set of tie rod ends for my 99 LS. According to Sewell's parts diagram, the part number is 45470 for one of them. I *think* they are the same numbers as the GS300 and GS400 because that model comes up when I do a part number search. Sewell sells both tie rod ends for $94 and change total (+plus shipping). I simply want to confirm that if I order the GS part, it's the same part that the LS uses.

Also, I'm fairly certain that this issue has probably arisen in the past. How do I get around the 3 letter limit on the search field?

Thanks so much,

Micah

One way to verify application is to go to an auto parts site, say rockauto.com, and type the part in along with your make/model. Then cross reference the number to the other model. Say if you find a Moog part that fits the LS, then match it to the GS, you know for certain it's a direct crossover.

I just did this and the part numbers do not match between a '99 LS and GS. So you can assume they are not the same. I know early generation LS and GS models shared lower ball joints, but not sure about other parts. Maybe by second generation they had evolved enough apart to no longer share components.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note: I sent an email to Sewell a couple weeks ago, and they updated their parts catalog to include the tie rod ends. I received both the right and left side a soon after, and now just need a bit of time to put them on. According to the videos I've watched, replacing these seems fairly simple. While I know this will solve the slight looseness in the right wheel when I push/pull the wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, I'm also hoping it will solve the light "pop" sounds I get when I go over the lip of a driveway. After the tie rods, I'll change out the strut rod cushions based on the recommendations I received on this forum. (Thanks a million for everyone's input too). Hopefully, I'll solve the odd minor vibrations at freeway speeds with the strut cushions.

For reference, I paid $104 and change to get OEM tie rod ends shipped to my door utilizing the online price with a Club Lexus discount. I thought this a good deal so I went with it over the Moog tie rod ends, which were just a little bit cheaper. Based on what I've read, Moog makes pretty good stuff, but the Toyota part is a known quality to me.

Regards,

Micah