Interference Engine Or Not?

Richard Hewitt

Just purchased a 2002 LS430 with 42,000 miles and I am anxious about whether or not to replace timing belt

right away. Do I have an engine that will suffer internal damage should the TB break?

Welcome Richard. Yes, it is interference and could suffer damage if the belt were to break. The recommended change interval is 90k miles or 6 years.

My 02 with 22k miles still has the original belt. I am not losing any sleep.

Just purchased a 2002 LS430 with 42,000 miles and I am anxious about whether or not to replace timing belt

right away. Do I have an engine that will suffer internal damage should the TB break?

Welcome Richard. Yes, it is interference and could suffer damage if the belt were to break. The recommended change interval is 90k miles or 6 years.

My 02 with 22k miles still has the original belt. I am not losing any sleep.

Howdy. I have just replaced my timing belt, water pump etc on my January 1999 LS400. I did it at 90,000 kilometres, instead of 150k. But it is 12 years old. The belt looks in very good condition, and would probably have gone to 150km, likewise the water pump. I imagine the LS430 is probably virtually the same, so I don't imagine it's an urgent thing, although due to age, it probably wouldn't hurt to do it in the reasonably near future :) Cheers, Keith.