2006 Rx400H Navigation Ver. 10.1 Installation

Just received the Navigation 10.1 DVD from SUPERSTITION SPRINGS LEXUS PARTS on Ebay for $199, shipping free. The upgrade from ver.4.0 to 10.1 installation was very quick and works flawlessly. If anyone wants to know the step by step, let me know. Even a caveman can do it.

Gave SUPERSTITION SPRINGS LEXUS PARTS outstanding feedback for the quick and efficient delivery.

Eric

Just received the Navigation 10.1 DVD from SUPERSTITION SPRINGS LEXUS PARTS on Ebay for $199, shipping free. The upgrade from ver.4.0 to 10.1 installation was very quick and works flawlessly. If anyone wants to know the step by step, let me know. Even a caveman can do it.

Gave SUPERSTITION SPRINGS LEXUS PARTS outstanding feedback for the quick and efficient delivery.

Eric

I don't suppose there's a snowball's chance that this new version (like the last two versions) will be compatible with the back door / maintenance screens that lock pick and other devices access ... letting you input map and or phone numbers on the fly, right?

Eric

What are the steps involved for installation in an 06 RX400H?

• 2 weeks later...

Eric

Open the pull-up floor panel in the back to expose the jack and tire tools. Remove the two clip panel on the right, it is angled toward the rear door. Inside is the nav disc drive; with the vehicle on, there is a slide switch on the drive to open and eject the disc. Insert the new disc and reverse the process. Some suggest to remove power to the drive to clean install the firmware but I have never had problems with it and I get a new one every update. 10.1 does not have the override feature, it was removed on 6.1. I can tell you the new lockpick from costaletech will remove the need to push the I agree on the nag screen like the gen 5 units and it also allows menu access while in motion. Previously it would not work with the nag screen on 6.1 and later but I can personally say it now works with 9.1 and 10.1.

• 5 months later...

****Sorry guys, found it in the hood under the jack compartment)*****

Hi there, I also want to change my nav fomr 2006 to a new one, cant find the location of the cd, its not in the glove department. I drive an rx400h.

If you can give an help or directions much appreciated.

Thanks

Ferdy

Eric

Open the pull-up floor panel in the back to expose the jack and tire tools. Remove the two clip panel on the right, it is angled toward the rear door. Inside is the nav disc drive; with the vehicle on, there is a slide switch on the drive to open and eject the disc. Insert the new disc and reverse the process. Some suggest to remove power to the drive to clean install the firmware but I have never had problems with it and I get a new one every update. 10.1 does not have the override feature, it was removed on 6.1. I can tell you the new lockpick from costaletech will remove the need to push the I agree on the nag screen like the gen 5 units and it also allows menu access while in motion. Previously it would not work with the nag screen on 6.1 and later but I can personally say it now works with 9.1 and 10.1.

Any idea how to remove power to the unit? I unplugged battery for a few hours and it still didn't allow firmware updating. Do I have to remove the drive? If so, a how to would be nice. I have a 2008 400h.

• 1 month later...

How is it better? I would like to upgrade but I need to know that it is better and how and that it is as easy to install as loading a music CD. Rey

The only better thing that I can see (and I currenly have 10.1) is the maps are updated, so any new streets/neighbourhoods/POIs etc. will now be up to date. The drawback is if you have a version older than 6.1 (I think) and use the buiilt in override function (do a search if you don't know what I'm talking about), you will lose the override in any newer version.

The update does not fix any of the problems inherent in the crappy NAV system (like the absolutely ludicrous voice commands (the system has hardly every recognized any of my voice commands and I do speak normal English), that a $100 GARMIN unit can do much better.

And yes, it's almost as easy as loading a music cd..

Here are some pics..

Under the cover (you can use the silver arm on the right to hold the cover up

p1010789a.jpg

The lid to the actual NAV drive (just push down the two clips, tilt out slightly and lift the cover up (toward the ceiling)

p1010788rh.jpg

The unit, push the button in and slide in the direction of the arrow, this will open the disc door AND eject the disk. Insert the new disc (it will suck it in automatically) and now slide the button in the other direction to close the disc door - make sure you close this properly or the drive won't run until you do.

p1010793w.jpg

The update does not fix any of the problems inherent in the crappy NAV system (like the absolutely ludicrous voice commands (the system has hardly every recognized any of my voice commands and I do speak normal English), that a $100 GARMIN unit can do much better.

Dang, I never knew that a $100 Garmin accepts voice commands! My $100 Garmin cannot listen - only speak and I still think the Lexus NAV is better that even my Dad's $800 Garmin. Thus far I have used Tom Tom, Garmin and Lexus and I'll take the Lexus over them all.

...my opinion, of course.

If your 400h NAV system recognizes your voice commands you are in the minority.

The $100 Garmin...let me revise that to a $200 Garmin with voice recognition (suggested retail price at Garmin.com - likely cheaper elsewere) but for the extra money you get lifetime traffic.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=69452

Or you could really splurge and spend $400 for this

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=87930

which has LIFETIME MAP UPDATES and lifetime traffic. So for the cost of two Lexus map updates (honestly, it's ridiculous what Lexus charges for a simple map update disc), you get a unit that has voice recognition, bluetooth, and speaks street names.

So for the cost of two Lexus map updates (honestly, it's ridiculous what Lexus charges for a simple map update disc), you get a unit that has voice recognition, bluetooth, and speaks street names.

I agree that the updates should be no more than $50. $200 is rediculous; that's why I've waited this long.

A torrent site - you might find a copy of 10.1 there and you can then burn your own disc, but it's likely some sort of copyright infringement. Same as buying one disc between...say four people, so it works out to $50 a person, then burning three copies. That's why I said 'if it's your cup of tea', which it probably isn't.

I'm sorry, but I don't mean to come off sounding negative... but the Lexus Navi system is less than ideal! And, if only for the Nav Hack (prior to ver 6) it is somewhat decent. What is the point to a Navi system, if you cannot make changes or requests on the fly through the screen (since the Lexus Voice System recognizes only Cobalt Commands dictated through a mouth full of peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches on warm and moist oven fresh bread) by updating to 10.1 you are virtually crippling the system.

I use my cellphone as backup if for whatever reason my 6.1 Navi CD cannot find a new street. In all honesty, Lexus / Toyota errored and should never charge Microsoft Like Prices to a System that is INHERENTLY flawed. Pay money to render a Navi completely useless... pfft!

Cheers,

MadloR

I'm sorry, but I don't mean to come off sounding negative... but the Lexus Navi system is less than ideal! And, if only for the Nav Hack (prior to ver 6) it is somewhat decent. What is the point to a Navi system, if you cannot make changes or requests on the fly through the screen (since the Lexus Voice System recognizes only Cobalt Commands dictated through a mouth full of peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches on warm and moist oven fresh bread) by updating to 10.1 you are virtually crippling the system.

I use my cellphone as backup if for whatever reason my 6.1 Navi CD cannot find a new street. In all honesty, Lexus / Toyota errored and should never charge Microsoft Like Prices to a System that is INHERENTLY flawed. Pay money to render a Navi completely useless... pfft!

Cheers,

MadloR

You're not coming off negative - just stating a blatant truth about the NAV system. Your cobalt/peanut butter/moist bread made me spray Coke Zero through my nose. Sad thing is, if I actually did that (used cobalt commands, peanut better and bread) the system probably WOULD recognize the commands. I know it doesn't recognize English (I've even tried English with British accents, Western accents and Japanese accents)

• 4 months later...

My $200 Garmin, with voice commands, in my Saab, was set to answer to GARMIN, works for my wife, for me it answers to HERMAN.

I refuse to upgrade my V6.1 and loose on the fly changes, just on the chance a few new streets may show up.

• 4 months later...

I plan to get the update for mine as I just purchased a used 2006 last week and I'm fairly certain it was *never* updated by the previous owner. Had to go to a martial arts tournament last weekend and the whole subdivision where the fairly new high school was located was completely missing from the maps. Had to have it navigate me to some nearby cross streets instead, lol.

EDIT: Went to the dealership this morning, they had the DVD on sale for $150. Got the 11.1 update and took me less than 5 minutes to eject the old DVD and install the new one :) Easy!