Acv

Mr. Freegard

This is an extrapolation, i.e., I am guessing based on known fact;, but I am 99% certain I am correct.

One vacuum line attaches to the air intake and connects to the ACV. The second vacuum line attaches to the intake manifold of the engine. Essentially the former is not under vacuum; but it is attached to a place where it receives only clean filtered air. The latter is subjected to continuous but fluctuating vacuum dependent upon engine rpm and strain.

There is probably a spring loaded diaphram (which is ruptured in a worn out ACV). This diaphram responds to pressure exerted by the power steering fluid. Whether it pulls on the diaphram or pushes on it I do not know. Logic says it pushes. When pressure in the steering pump fluid builds the ACV gate opens to varying degrees allowing clean air to be pulled into the intake manifold of the engine, e.g., turning the steering wheel at slow speeds or in. a high load (on steering rack) circumstance. Normally, that is to say, without some kind of compensation mechanism in place the vehicle's engine would drop in RPM under that strain--even stalling the engine. But with an intake manifold leak what happens? The engine's RPM rises. The ACV allows air into the intake manifold when the steering pump pressure rises significantly thereby keeping the engine at a constant RPM. Nothing more than a controlled intake manifold leak. That is what the ACV does. And it works in sync somehow with the ICV to accomplish this. Again, I am guessing. But I would not write this if I wasn't very certain of my hunch.