Is My Key The Fob?

Mr. Freegard

I do not have the keys here to look at. But the seller said that the button is on the key itself and that it needs a new battery and that he hasn't used it in a few years. Is this correct? And what can the key do? Can it unlock the trunk? If so, how is it done? What does a battery cost and where can I get one?

The button on the master key of the 1990-1994 LS400 only unlocks the doors. A button for the trunk was added for the 1995 model year. You can read about the changes from year to year here: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

The valet keys for all years of the LS400 do not have buttons that can remotely unlock the doors.

I don't remember the cost of key batteries but they are pretty cheap either at a dealership or at a store like Batteries Plus. A key battery exchange takes only a minute and requires a very small (e.g. jeweler's) phillips screwdriver. Both dealers and battery outlets typically will install a key battery for you.

Be aware that that the if key button does not unlock the doors, the problem may not be the key battery. The gen 1 keyless entry system can have a variety of other problems that are not easy or cheap to fix.

Hi,

You may get away with just the battery replacement,if not there is a reset proceedure.

Also inside the car near to the trunk release is a switch marked "remote on/off" make sure this is in the on position when trying the key.

I had the same problem when I bought my LS and the battery sorted it and it has been working without problems for over 4 years now.