New Lexus Owner

Marcellsr

B) I'm a new Lexus owner of a 2004 ES330 and the can is SMoooooth!!!, Blk on Blk leather of course with the 4th gen navigation system. Plan is to put 18s or 19 inch wheels on. Anyone has thought on how this install will change the ride and handling?

Will post pictures soon.

I'm a new Lexus owner of a 2004 ES330 and the can is SMoooooth!!!

You won't improve the SMooooooth ride by changing to other size rims or tires! In fact you'll probably destroy something that was figured out to be the best balance by the Lexus designers. Besides it'll throw your NAV & speedometer accuracy off. Leave the car alone for awhile!!

Welcome and congrats!

As long as you dont increase the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo it wont throw the speedo or the nav off, but it will have a big effect on the ride. You may like it, you may not. Steviej switches to 18 inch wheels in the summer, he'll have an opinion here I'm sure.

sw, I have an opinion on everything, I just don't voice most of them.

18's will look real sharp and will improve the turn stability of the ES.

but.......there is always a but.....there is a major tradeoff.

you will loose some of the smooth ride and will increase the road noise that is so incredibly quiet with the stock 16's. 18's and 19's will severely decrease your sidewall of the tire if you stay within the same overall diameter specs. The diminished sidewall will leave your larger wheels prey to potholes and road crap.....bottom line is that you have a higher chance of bending an expensive modification. NAV and speedo won't change if you stay within recommended tire sizing. I run a 235/40-18 from May or June to October and have no change in the speedo or mpg that I get.

Shop around. Whatever you do, don't get rid of the stock tires. Store them and keep them for winter use.

here's a pic of my 18's.

steviej

. Plan is to put 18s or 19 inch wheels on.

Yes the smoothness, refinement and alot more would go out the window. But If you're a multimillionaire and the $38,000 you paid is just pocket change then you could experiment and not have to worry about anything that breaks or about the new car warranty that would be voided.

Congrats on the purchase!

I'll be installing 17's on my car in the next 2-3 months. The 18's I borrowed for my ES330 made the ride a little too firm, even with the suspension adjustment I made. There's also a trade off in the larger wheels. The tire life seems to differ significantly when comparing 17, 18, and 19 inch tires.

With over 12,000 miles on my car since Sept, I have to do a little more research before investing in aftermarket parts.

A better investment may be an invisible car bra. I've accumulated a lot of rock chips on the hood, and I am also in need of a new windshield. The service advisor commented that the paint is a little softer since Lexus changed the paint formula a while back.

Larger diameter wheels aren't going to void the warranty. In fact, Lexus dealers sell them themselves...

If the use of aftermarket wheels & tires causes or contributes to any mechanical trouble or early wear out of the wheel bearings, brakes, suspension or steering components then Lexus would not be legally obligated to cover the cost of the repairs under warranty

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/wheel1.jpg

But why would they?

If there were any chance of the larger diameter wheels causing early wear of any of those components Lexus dealers wouldn't sell them...

If you use a larger wheel/tire combo it causes problems, but if the overall diameter of the wheel/tire is the same and only the wheel diameter is increased then there's no problems whatsoever.

If there were any chance of the larger diameter wheels causing early wear of any of those components Lexus dealers wouldn't sell them...

My, how gullible of you. :rolleyes: They'd probably sell anything to make a buck. :D

LOL

In all honesty though, Lexus wouldn't allow its dealerships to install such wheels if there was any adverse effect to the vehicle. Lexus themselves designed L-Sportline kits with larger wheels etc.

If you use a larger wheel/tire combo it causes problems, but if the overall diameter of the wheel/tire is the same and only the wheel diameter is increased then there's no problems whatsoever.

An increase in wheel diameter without an increase in overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo means the suspension, steering and wheel bearing componets and bushings of the car are going to take an extra hard beating and will wear out quicker than normal. There just wouldn't be much tire sidewall available to absorb road shock. Worse, the bigger wheels will encourage owners to corner more aggressively which will further stress and hasten the early wear out of the components and bushings.

Now if an owner with oversize wheels and only 45,000 miles went into a Lexus dealer complaining of worn out ball joints, tie rods ends, wheel bearings, suspension struts or bushings I confess I do not know whether or not the dealer would cover the costs repairs under the 4 year / 50,000 mile general vehicle warranty. Or if the dealer might deny coverage by saying the aftermarket wheels and aggressive driving caused the early wear out of the components.

Welcome to the club. One the other hand, I hate to say this, but it would appear to me that anyone who would want to put 18 or 19 inch wheels on an ES330 right from the getgo might have selected the wrong car. This is a luxury car with a luxury ride, and a 225 hp engine. Its not a sports car by any means. But I certainly hope that you are able to make the modifications which will make you happy with your car.

Jeff

:cheers:

One the other hand, I hate to say this, but it would appear to me that anyone who would want to put 18 or 19 inch wheels on an ES330 right from the getgo might have selected the wrong car. This is a luxury car with a luxury ride, and a 225 hp engine. Its not a sports car by any means.

this is totally your opinion, Jeff. Many will dispute it.

steviej

. Plan is to put 18s or 19 inch wheels on.

Yes the smoothness, refinement and alot more would go out the window. But If you're a multimillionaire and the $38,000 you paid is just pocket change then you could experiment and not have to worry about anything that breaks or about the new car warranty that would be voided.

Actually I paid $36K for it angave cash!!! so really I'm not that concern. after all it's only a car? :P

sw, I have an opinion on everything, I just don't voice most of them.

18's will look real sharp and will improve the turn stability of the ES.

but.......there is always a but.....there is a major tradeoff.

you will loose some of the smooth ride and will increase the road noise that is so incredibly quiet with the stock 16's. 18's and 19's will severely decrease your sidewall of the tire if you stay within the same overall diameter specs. The diminished sidewall will leave your larger wheels prey to potholes and road crap.....bottom line is that you have a higher chance of bending an expensive modification. NAV and speedo won't change if you stay within recommended tire sizing. I run a 235/40-18 from May or June to October and have no change in the speedo or mpg that I get.

Shop around. Whatever you do, don't get rid of the stock tires. Store them and keep them for winter use.

here's a pic of my 18's.

steviej

Now that's what I'm talking about, SMOOTH....SHARP looking ES3000. I'm okay with loosing a little smoothness and of course, I will keep the stock wheels. :D

marcellsr:

I'm picking up a picture of your black on black 330 on my computer for the first time today. You don't have to do anything to enhance the looks of your car. I test drove a black on black, and the car was simply super sharp. :D So enjoy it (and wash it often.) I picked gold because my 330 will live much of its life under a tree. Pollin in the spring, and leaves in the fall. I thought it was a nice color that would minimize problems for me. The black on black is unquestionably (at least to me) a sharp color.

Jeff :cheers:

Welcome to the club. One the other hand, I hate to say this, but it would appear to me that anyone who would want to put 18 or 19 inch wheels on an ES330 right from the getgo might have selected the wrong car. This is a luxury car with a luxury ride, and a 225 hp engine. Its not a sports car by any means. But I certainly hope that you are able to make the modifications which will make you happy with your car.

Jeff

:cheers:

imo, a car doesnt have to be a sports car to put 18 or 19 in rims. i think the factory 16in rims are too small for such a big car in the first place! the ride on that car with stock rims is so smooth that some people who test drove it claims it "has no soul!" so i guess bigger rims would alleviate this somewhat, plus it looks nicer too!