2005 Ls 430 Here

ennui

I just bought a 2005 Lexus LS 430 in Mercury Metallic with the black interior. Just wanted to check in and say hi. Seems like there is a thriving community of Lexus owners here.

Couple of questions:

We paid $27K for the car, not including TTL. It's super clean (only one minor scratch on the rear bumper), accident-free, CPO, and has only 37K miles on it. I got the headlamp washers, but no rear massagers so I'm guessing this has the "Custom Luxury Selection" option group. Not sure how good of a deal this is; any comments?

The CPO warranty is 3 years from date of purchase/100k total miles. I was offered to extend the CPO warranty to 6 years from date of purchase/100k total miles for $2210. We plan on driving the car into the ground, and we probably will not exceed 100k total miles in the next 6 years. I'm wondering what folks think about buying this option. I've read that the LS 430 is extremely reliable, but at the same time if something like the rear camera or nav system breaks, it can easily cost more than $2210.

Welcome!

1. Yes there should be a way to keep the mirrors from auto retracting. On my 02, there is a button on the left side of the steering column, right next to the mirror adjusting joy stick. It is labeled "Auto". Just switch it to the left and the mirrors should stay out. It has three modes: off (left), manual retract(middle) and auto, retract when ignition is off(right). I keep mine in the off mode except when I want to manually retract, like getting past a closely parked object.

EDIT: Left = off, middle = auto, right = manual.

2. Sounds like you got a good deal. Please post some pics. We would love to see that color.

3. It all depends upon what the extended warranty would cover. You want to get the warranty in writing and read it VERY carefully before purchase. They can put a lot of wiggle room in the contract, so be careful. Personally, I would not go for it for the money. However, I like to work on my car and can take care of most repairs. If you are not that type and you want the piece of mind (and have the money), go for it. You are right, it "could" pay off quickly. But remember, the deck is stacked against you with the reliability of a Lexus.

The CPO warranty is 3 years from date of purchase/100k total miles. I was offered to extend the CPO warranty to 6 years from date of purchase/100k total miles for $2210. We plan on driving the car into the ground, and we probably will not exceed 100k total miles in the next 6 years. I'm wondering what folks think about buying this option. I've read that the LS 430 is extremely reliable, but at the same time if something like the rear camera or nav system breaks, it can easily cost more than $2210.

It’s really up to you. These types are warranties are best for folks who just want to put the key in the ignition and drive. They are rated (underwritten) for such risk scenarios. If you are able to do minor repairs and are diligent on maintenance you may be better off putting the money in the bank and use it to fund the unexpected. Also they have great varied deductibles and coverage limitations (wear item exclusions such as tires, brakes, water pumps, timing belts, light bulbs, ....). So when that brake job for $1200 is due in 2 years you'll still be paying it. When the 90k mile timing belt change interval arrives you'll be paying the $2k bill for that too. So don’t think paying for CPO means you are maintenance cost free. Bottom line, understand the fine print.

Thanks for the replies.

I do understand that this does not cover maintenance. We are trying to determine if paying $2210 for an extra 3 years of insurance against stuff like the nav or the rear camera or the steering wheel telescoping motors is worth it. I'm going to guess that any one of those things breaking will eat up close to or over $2210 by itself.

I'll get the camera out today and try to take some photos.