Peeling Paint On Wheels

eahearn

My wife has had a 2004 GX470 since new (108K miles on it so far). Cosmetically, the vehicle is in terrific shape except that the paint covering the alloy wheels has started to flake and peel. Has anyone encountered this problem? Anything that can be done to resolve it, other than buying new wheels? We live in the Northeast so I assume this is due to ice treatment on the roads.

Thanks, Ed

Wheels peeling and flaking seems a common problem (not only for lexus) and is intensified by age, weather condition and ice treatments. It also depends on how you treat your wheels and clean them. If you perform a search on this site, you'll encounter many topics covering flaky wheels. It's best to keep your wheels at bay during the wintermonths and instead use 'cheap' steel wheels.

Anyway, besides buying new ones, you can have them repainted or better, powdercoated. Powdercoating gives excellent optical results and is far more resistant against future flaking and spicy road treatments. You can also opt for a local touch-up with silver paint, but that gives far less satisfying results.

Just purchased a used 2004 Gx470 with only 23,500 from Miami, FL a private one time owner. Car in FL all the time and never saw snow or extreme weather. Wheels are peeling and bubbling. I guess I am looking to get repainted. Any suggestions? Car is in near mint condition otherwise. Previous owner out of country often. Anyone have an idea where to find a controller for the rear entertainment system? Thanks and Happy New Year!