Dim Headlights On 2004 Gx?

eahearn

Hi, my wife has had a 2004 GX470 since new. 108K miles on it so far with no real problems. I've noticed recently that the head lights seem to not appear to be as bright as they have in the past. The thing is, that the outer lenses do not seem to be hazed or clouded at all (for example, my previous BMW had the same symptom but the outer lenses were clouded so it was easy to figure out the cause of the problem). Could the problem be the headlights themselves? Has anyone had this problem and, if yes, what was the cause and what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks, Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my wife has had a 2004 GX470 since new. 108K miles on it so far with no real problems. I've noticed recently that the head lights seem to not appear to be as bright as they have in the past. The thing is, that the outer lenses do not seem to be hazed or clouded at all (for example, my previous BMW had the same symptom but the outer lenses were clouded so it was easy to figure out the cause of the problem). Could the problem be the headlights themselves? Has anyone had this problem and, if yes, what was the cause and what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed,

My headlight isn't as bright as it once was when it was new. From what I read, I think light bulb loose their effectiveness by about 20%(less/more) over the life of the bulb. May be this is the case here. I could be wrong though. May be you can check with Sylvania and see if they have any after market bulbs that may fix it.

I am going to check as well.

The bulbs do loose their intensity after hours of use. If you want to change the bulbs to a brighter one, I would suggest getting an HID kit, preferrably in the 4300K or 5000K which are the whitest temperatures available. Anything higher than that will turn blue and is technically darker in light output.

• 2 months later...