Tire Size Options For 2011 Es350

rob_es350

Oh yeah, the G37 is a great car...I've driven them but its still not *quite* like a 3 series in the solidity department. The 3 series drives like its a solid peice of metal, the Japanese cars just aren't quite the same...a BMW really isn't about all out performance or numbers on paper, its a driving experience and IMHO nothing else is really quite to that point yet.

As for the M, you're thinking of the old M. No more M45, its the M37 and the M56. The M37 has a 330HP V6 with a 7 speed auto, the GS350 only has 303HP and a 6 speed. The M56 has a 420hp V8 while the GS460 is only 342.

So the M37 absolutely will blow the doors off a GS350 and even probably be close to a GS460...and Lexus just doesn't have anything to compete with the M56. Plus the car is more modern and its cheaper. I drove both back to back when I was looking...and I wouldn't even consider a GS over an M.

wow, thanks for the info on the Infiniti M37/56..I see also that the M37 is reasonably priced as you say..M56 is up there, but must be amazing..however, at that price, it has to compete with the 5 series BMW at that would be a tough one..especially for a beemer bug like you

not sure why I checked out the GS, but not the M, guess I was only focused on the G37 when I was at Infiniti

we will have to agree to disagree on the G37 vs the beemer 3 series..agree that is is not only the performance numbers, but I didn't have an issue with the G vs the BMW in any other category..and you get a ton for your money with the G...sounds like we do agree that they are both a bit small

I'm actually not really a huge Beemer fan, they're not my kind of cars. I like a well sized smooth and quiet sedan. I wouldn't really buy a G or a 3 series, objectively though the 3 series is really the archetype for the small sports sedan...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/04/comparo-take-two-infiniti-g37-vs-bmw-335/

this guy gives a very comprehensive comparison

essentially says it is close coin toss, but gives the BMW the win

emphasizes that the comparison has to be done with the 335, cause the 328 would get murdered

only issue he has with the 335 is the extra pile of money it costs

Going back to the original topic of upgrading tires and/or wheels for the es350 to improve performance.

I spoke with a wheel/tire co. that seems to have a lot of experience and a vast database of wheel/tire options for cars.

Bottom line for the es350 is that increasing one size from the 215 to a 225 width is fine, but 235 is not recommended, so the options for performance are:

225/50-17 (was told would help, but would not be a significant difference..if just changing tires, might want to get these for a small performance increase, while maintaining the smooth ride to a large extent)

225/45-18 (was told this was my best choice for a noticeable difference in handling while not sacrificing too much on the smooth ride - would look pretty good also)

225/40-19 (would handle and look great of course, but bumps would be analogous to pure sports car)

225/35-20 (more of the same)

For those who have to buy new tires anyway, might as well go for the 225/50-17 if at all interested in better handling.

Let me know if anyone goes for any of these options.

- Rob