Inverter Problems..

See this post

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f31/inverter-shoots-craps-105-000-miles-24131/

Quite a few Highland Hybrids (which are the same as the RX400h in the engine compartment) with failing inverters around 100000 miles.

See my post here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60231&hl=inverter&st=0

regarding my inverter leaking and being replaced in September 2009. Be sure to read the second page where another owner has posted a different kind of leak below the inverter (apparently part of the transxle) that I AM ALSO NOW experiencing.

I really wonder if I should keep this thing beyond the 1600000KM hybrid warranty. I don't even know yet if the new leak I have will be covered under the hybrid warranty. Won't know till Dec. 27 when the technician gets it up on the hoist and comes up with some sort of diagnosis. It's sad really, because I really do enjoy the vehicle.

My Corvette's differential gasket starts leaking every 5 years. Welcome to the club. I'm hoping that an improved gasket is designed - like the thermostat housings with built-in o-rings. Perhaps Lexus will fix the problem in new inverters that they swap in under the warranty.

Remember the head gasket issue that Toyota trucks had, many years back. Many, many trucks that were more than 60,000 miles out of warranty were fixed, free of charge at Toyota dealerships.

Thankfully, Toyota and Lexus are not like GM.

Well, if they have a new and improved inverter, then hopefully I'm good there, since I have a new one under warranty (hopefully, they didn't just give me one from 'old' stock..lol). When it comes to the new leak, I have which is not the inverter, I may be out of luck on the hybrid warranty side. I perused my owner's manual last night and the hybrid warranty only covers the inverter, battery and assorted ECUs that control them. The transaxle, while it does contain the electric motors, is covered under the powertrain warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

My Corvette's differential gasket starts leaking every 5 years. I'm hoping that an improved gasket is designed - like the thermostat housings with built-in o-rings.

What year is your Vette?

My Corvette's differential gasket starts leaking every 5 years. Welcome to the club. I'm hoping that an improved gasket is designed - like the thermostat housings with built-in o-rings. Perhaps Lexus will fix the problem in new inverters that they swap in under the warranty.

Remember the head gasket issue that Toyota trucks had, many years back. Many, many trucks that were more than 60,000 miles out of warranty were fixed, free of charge at Toyota dealerships.

Thankfully, Toyota and Lexus are not like GM.

Even better ... those of us fortunate enough to be in the 7 or 8 states following CA hybrid emissions regulations, we get the hybrid part of their warranty carried out to 150K. EEEK ... we may end up needing it some day! Even so, life is good. I'm really surprised that Lexus/Toyota wasn't more gracious to dead inverter owners ... especially back when all the hubub was going on with alleged unintended acceleration.

• 1 month later...

My Corvette's differential gasket starts leaking every 5 years. I'm hoping that an improved gasket is designed - like the thermostat housings with built-in o-rings.

What year is your Vette?

2001 - it was the first new car I ever bought. (And no, I was never given a new car!)

Dave